My Nana

So back in August i lost my Nana to cancer, she was the head of the family and a big part of my life always taking me and brother on holidays during the school holidays or surprising us with gifts, this is the first time i have really spoken about it.

Friday the 11th of August i got the call that she had passed away peacefully in her sleep i didnt really know react, i went downstairs and told my partner that she had passed away gave her a hug and a kiss and went about my day as normal even tried to go to work but got sent home a few hours in as i broke down after that day i was back to my normal self that friday was the only day i cried

The day of my Nanas funeral was the longest day of my life between trying to hold my self together and look after the family members greating people, while sitting down listening to the story’s and people talk about my nana that was even longer felt like hours but was only 45 minutes, all the grandkids where given a rose to place on her coffin before it was lowered down, while everyone was crying and sobbing i was counting the bricks on the wall in front of me there was 354 bricks on that little section

Its been nearly 4/5 months and still haven’t grieved or know how to even start the process of grieving, i wouldn’t say im lost or feeling numb i just had to get it out my system

Thank you

Hi Will88

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’m so sorry to hear about your Nana. How you are feeling is normal - a lot of people describe feeling unsure if they are grieving. Everyone’s grief is individual, and there’s no time limit on how or when to grieve Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care, Rhi

1 Like