My story. Nothing else.

Dear all,
I’ve used alcohol to keep me functioning at a so called normal level since losing my wife Anne 20months ago. We were married for 50yrs. I cook. I shop. I wash clothes. I house clean. But Im not an alcoholic ( well I would say that wouldn’t I ?) I simply use alcohol to functionl. At the moment I’m alcohol dependant I admit and for some kind of peace of mind. Ive tried being cold stone sober but it lasted just 2days of heart breaking grief before I quelled that hell with merely two cans of beer. Yes I know my Anne has passed over and is never coming back. Thats logic at work. No question. But my feelings and emotions just cant accept it. Our house has lost its soul. It has no spirit. Its just a residence where I happen to live at this moment in time. All I can conclude with is Im as happy as I can be when inebriated.

I drink too James but thankfully not dependent. I never drank at all until I was 50 and Ron used to hate me having more than a couple of wine but when he passed I started drinking with friends and now find myself buying a bottle of wine whenever I go shopping. Ron would hate me doing that but it helps me relax and to sleep. So you are not alone.It is a prop but not a healthy one.

1 Like

Hi
I drink all the time got a tumble off gin at the min
Will drink most off the bottle tonight
Andy didn’t like us drinking to much we use to have
A glass off something once a week now I drink most nights
Take care xx

2 Likes

Snap !
Anne hated me drinking more than a few beers although in our active years she loved a G & T. Lots of them when we went camping with our friends. Sadly they passed away and it seemed later in life Anne went off drink and expected me to do the same. But rightly or wrongly I used alcohol at the appropriate time to cope with the fact Anne was dying of pancreatic cancer. My son used a water bottle but filled with vodka during the time we were together with Anne in hospital. So I did the same because every other night I slept on the floor next to Annes bed. And nights in between my daughter stayed the night sleeping on the floor. So our Anne was never left unattended by her loved ones. And my son visited his mum every day. Alcohol helped so much yet non of us ever got drunk. It was simply a pain killer. As such I use alcohol as a pain killer today. xxx

1 Like

I added more to my post but was told I’d run out of time to edit. wtf is that all about? THANK GOODNESS I SAVED IT. Here is the full post. I cant even delete the original post !!!

So Snap !
Anne hated me drinking more than a few beers although in our active years she loved a G & T. Lots of them when we went camping with our friends. Sadly they passed away and it seemed later in life Anne went off drink and expected me to do the same. But rightly or wrongly I used alcohol at the appropriate time to cope with the fact Anne was dying of pancreatic cancer. My son used a water bottle but filled with vodka during the time we were together with Anne in hospital. So I did the same when on my own because every other night I slept on the floor next to Annes hospital bed. And nights in between my daughter stayed the night sleeping on the floor. So our Anne was never left unattended by her loved ones. And my son visited his mum every day. Alcohol helped so much yet non of us ever got drunk. It was simply a pain killer. As such I use alcohol as a pain killer today. On the 12th July 2019 I was privileged and honoured to see my sweet heart take her last breath just after I said I loved her and she was the best wife any man could wish for. And our kids loved her too because she was the best Mum any kids could wish for. Our Anne passed away with a sweet smile on her darling face. xxx

2 Likes

James 71. My hubby died of pancreatic cancer too James. It is an horrific disease with many twists and turns and as with Ron the end can be so sudden and unexpected. Is it any wo set we need a drink to prop us up sometimes? It is the only thing that eases the pain. I never expected hubby to die so quickly as he had just had Nsnno knife operation to remove as much of the tumour as theh could. He almost skipped into the theatre and was a wreck when he came out. Needed a stent got jaundice, ascites.sepsis. Thankfully he did not have horrific pain but to see my tanned, muscular husband turn into a wasted skeleton was enough to make anyone turn to drink.

2 Likes

Sorry for typos again. No glasses on.

1 Like