Nan passed away

I’m totally heartbroken, a bit of background…. My dad passed away in July 2014 of cancer, my father in law on my birthday in January 2019, then on the 6th August 2020 at 3.00am I had a call from the hospital to say my mum had a very bad turn and I should make my way to see her, mum passed away just a few hours after…… for the past 2 years I’ve been my Nans next of kin. At 93 she’s been in a care home for some years. I’ve visited as much as possible as well as juggling 2 children and work. I’ve made sure she has never gone with out and done all I could to see her happy. She’s had her ups and downs and for the past 2 years has really struggled with water infections and falls…. Last Thursday 4th August I had a call at 1am to say my Nan had a bad turn I spent the night by her bedside on Friday, she settled back down and I was able to get a full nights sleep. When I returned to her on Saturday I knew she would not last the day. At 5pm 2 years to the day since my mum passed away, Nan followed on and closed her eyes forever! I’m totally heartbroken :broken_heart: it feels as soon as I get over a loss I get knocked back with another. I’m totally devastated and wish I had my mum here with me. I know she’s had a fantastic long life that not many get to have but it doesn’t make it any easier.

Hello Alocin

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your nan after also dealing with the loss of both your parents. It’s totally normal to feel overwhelmed and heartbroken. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

You may also find the following Sue Ryder resources helpful:

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please do keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care, Rhi

1 Like