Nightmares

Lost my dad 6 weeks ago tomorrow. I was there when he passed at the hospice and watched him die. Feel lucky to have been there but I keep having nightmares about him being so ill and it’s horrible. Has anyone else had any experience of this?

3 Likes

Hi @Bridget24
Sorry for your loss, hope you have support around. I lost my mam suddenly a month ago in front of me and I suffered nightmares for around 2 weeks, I was that scared I wouldn’t go to sleep until daylight, what helped me was writing down my nightmares and feelings every day like a journal and talking about it people on here who explained it was normal. My advice is talk about your feelings especially on here as there are people who feel the same and can offer their experiences. Always here if you need a chat xxx

1 Like

Hi @Bridget24
Sorry your struggling with nightmares, I had a nightmare last night about a haunted house, I think it was telling me about the issues I’m having with “ghosts of the past”.
I think sometimes when we’ve been through trauma, dreams like this are our minds trying to make sense of what’s happened, I have had some moments like that too, my mom passed April 3 years ago, but I still can’t stand going into our sitting room, we cared for her at home during COVID, we had to have a hospital bed put in that room for her, & that’s where she passed, when I go into that room I can still see that hospital bed, even though it was removed after she passed, it’s too traumatic for me to stay in that room on my own, so I spent most of the time in the house in my room, & only go through the sitting room to get to the kitchen when I need to. Sadly there are some things you can’t un-see, but hopefully in time it will calm down. Sending hugs of support.