Non curable AML

Mum took ill July 23 with low HB 57.
Long story short she has AML (acute myeloid leukaemia) with the worst genetic mutation.
Told by haematologist consultant that she had 3 years with management chemo in October 23 but once genetic result back in december it was possibly 3 months. We were told to have the best Christmas.
Roll on 6 months later 4 rounds of managment chemo (to prolong life) 3 lots of sepsis and shes still with us (just)
We are not prepared for the end stage.
We are so frightened.
She cant have anymore chemo only blood transfusions and hospital doctors keep saying she doesnt have long.
Haematologist now saying shes stable from a leukaemia point of view and that they now think 3 to 6 months.
Has anyone experienced this and the mixed messages esepcially time left.
Also how long is she likely to live with just transfusions?
She has a very low mood. Shes not ready to leave us.
Its so cruel watching her suffer with infections and then sepsis.
It was all supposed to be about quality of life but shes not had any quality.
Think of anyone who has been or is in the same boat.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum, @Jenster78.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support. I also just wanted to let you know that if you feel it would be helpful to talk on the phone, Macmillan Support Line is open until 8pm everyday. You can find out more about the support Macmillan offer to people affected by cancer and their loved ones on their website. You can call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00. They also have an online chat where you can ask any questions about cancer.

Take good care,
Seaneen

Hello

Aml is so very cruel.

I know exactly where you are at, and all i can advise is dont ask how long you have left, just spend as much time with your Mum.

The final stages are so very hard for both you and your Mum.

My partner Harry was diagnosed in May 23, he went tgrough the 3 riunds on intese Chemo, then should have had Stem Cell Transplant, but that wasn’t an option in the end due to the chmoe causing major damage to his Liver. He was then put on Midostaurin for the last remaining months. His HB, platletts dropped after having an abscess drained. He started with blood transfusions platletts, then contrated Sepsis for the 3rd time.

He was told he had 2 to 3 months, but died after 3 weeks, just because he couldn’t fight the infection.

This was on the 3rd July,

I know you cannot prepare yourself for EOL, trust me i tried,

Like i said the only advice i can give you is just to soend as mych time together xx

Gid bless

1 Like

Unfortunately my gorgeous Mum gained her angel wings on Sunday.
She had an infection.
We are heart broken :broken_heart: xx

1 Like

Oh Darling, god bless you.

My advice for you, having lost my partner to this horrible disease is to take each day at a time.

My heart aches for you

Here if you need to chat

God bless

Shelley xx

1 Like

Thank you. I need as much support as I can get xx

1 Like