Not coping since losing my dad

Hi,

Um idk why I’m posting this I guess I just need somebody. I feel very alone.

My dad sadly passed away in January of cancer. I’m really not adjusting to life without him. 6 months before he passed away his wife passed away so within a year we lost them both :frowning:

I’m just struggling so much and I seem to be self harming more as a way to cope with it all. :frowning:

1 Like

Dear Anonymous123,

You have taken a brave step by coming to this site and telling us how you feel. All the members of this community know what if feels like to lose a loved one. You have lost two people in a short space of time and it is not surprising that you are struggling. You deserve help and support.

Self-harming from what I have read and understand is a really difficult problem to deal with on your own. Trying to cope with emotional pain by inflicting physical pain is how I have seen it described. Is this something that you have been struggling with for some time and have you ever talked about it with your GP or someone else you trust to try and get help? There is no need to be ashamed, don’t struggle on your own.

Below is some information that you may find helpful. There is support out there, and I would really encourage you to reach out and speak to someone about how you are feeling.

• Samaritans are available 24/7 to talk about anything that you are worried about in confidence. You can call them on 116 123.
    • Shout are contactable by text, 24/7. You can text SHOUT to 85258 and talk to them about anything.
    • If you are at risk of harming yourself, please call 999 or contact your GP for an emergency appointment immediately.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling .

Take care, and post on this site as often as you want. There will always be someone who responds. I hope that by reading other people’s posts and replies you will feel less alone.
Jo

I lost my dad suddenly in February with no real warning. I went to work & got a call saying he had collapsed.

I know you feel down but I can’t stress how much talking on this site has helped me.

Sometimes I feel terrible, I miss him so much everyday that it hurts. I turned 29 yesterday & he should have been there with his family.

But sometimes I feel ok, today has been a good day & my thoughts of him are so positive they make me feel so proud.

Talking helps & I find this site is the best to go to as others on here are going through or have been through loss.

Talking to others can sometimes be hard, I don’t want to be the person that always talks about what happened or the person who cries when he has a drink so this site helps for me.

If you ever want to talk, feel free to reply. If you just want to talk about how you are coping or just to say what kind of person your dad is & what he means to you I am happy to listen.