Overwhelmed

My 3rd grandson was born this morning exactly 13 weeks since my wife died and within minutes of the same time. Overwhelmed by sadness my wife will never hold him and joy for my son and his wife. Emotional turmoil beyond words.

5 Likes

Congratulations! Yes your wife will never hold him but her DNA goes on with him, he is part of your wife :slightly_smiling_face: maybe when you hold him your wife is right next to you.

3 Likes

Oh @Mike75
This must be so difficult. Even happy times are made sad by the knowledge that our loved ones can’t share in the joy. We will have that when my daughter gets married this year without her Dad to give her away and for me without him by my side.

I will still say congratulations though as this new life is so precious and I hope will still bring some joy into your life.
Hugs xxx

3 Likes

Congratulations on your new grandson. My husband died suddenly in September 2021 of a heart attack whilst playing football. Our daughter got married in May last year and our first grandchild, a boy, was born in December. It’s hard walking through life alone after being in a loving relationship for many years but I’m sure our partners are with us in spirit and would want us to enjoy and celebrate these family events as they would if they were present. Big hugs xx

3 Likes

Thank you all. My daughter-in-law had a photo of my wife with her in the room. I like to think she was looking out for them. Mother and baby fine :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:It was also the hospital where my wife died. That also brought back some trauma. I’m starting to settle down now but it is something I really wanted to share with my wife and she was so much looking forward to it. It’s these events that really hurt when you cannot share them with what you had hoped would be your life partner for ever. Love and thanks.

4 Likes

My grand daughter was born just as my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer this time last year. My wife died 6 months ago, and having the baby around is a blessing and more than anything else is helping to lift my spirits on a daily basis. All the best to you.

2 Likes

@Ed9!Thanks again and so sorry for your loss. I’m sure you are right as the baby will be living here with me for a while.

2 Likes

@KarenF The baby came back yesterday. I am overjoyed by him. Unfortunately the phone calls have started from people wanting to visit and the assumption from some friends seems to be that this joy will cure my grief. But it is making it more intense. I am explaining this as best I can and keeping it together at home to get a good routine settled as my son and daughter-in-law were very close to my wife and are also still grieving. We are limiting visits and spreading them out but worried one wrong word could set any one of us off. No doubt you and your daughter will be feeling like this later when she gets married. Not sure there is any advice here. I guess we will have to play it by ear. Hope the wedding goes well. My son had 3 attempts to get married during Covid lockdown and insists on 3 anniversaries. Love and support xx

1 Like

@Mike75
So pleased you have your new little grandson to spend time with but totally get how hard it is likely to be. Thankfully your son and daughter in law seem to be on your wavelength so you can work together to support each other.
Hugs xxx

2 Likes

Thanks. Think I just needed reassurance. My daughter-in-law suggested we put up a prominent photo of my wife alongside where the baby is when visitors come. Will do this. xx

3 Likes

@Mike75
That’s a lovely idea plus it will remind people it is not all sweetness and light. xxx

2 Likes