Palliative Care

Hi everyone

Sadly I lost my wife on 22 October and I’m trying to come to terms with the fact there’s now a massive hole in my life that can never be filled.

Christine was diagnosed as being terminally ill at the end of June. She started receiving palliative care from the local hospice and straight away and, more recently, a care agency. The journey I shared with her and some of what I saw showed me that this kind of work is as more than about qualifications, it’s also has to be a calling and a passion.

I’m thinking of lobbying our local MP to bring this issue to the attention of of their Parliamentary colleagues and wondered if anyone has any experiences they’d care to share (names of carer agencies/organisations should not be included).

Please bear in mind, I’m not looking to start a witch hunt, just want to raise awareness.

1 Like

Hi Dazzaman

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :blue_heart: I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and you are not alone.

Take good care,
Rhi

1 Like

Many thanks Rhi

My wife was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in May 2019, she deteriorated significantly during lockdown and her diagnosis was reviewed and changed to MSA (Parkinson’s type in May 2021. Sadly this is a neuro-degenerative condition and palliative care was our only option.

We were referred to both Sue Ryder Care and MacMillan from our first consultation and the care we received from both Sue Ryder and MacMillan was nothing less than outstanding! In fairness the NHS staff in Ed/MAU and on her ward were nothing less than amazing too.

Sadly my wife passed away peacefully on 14/11/23, surrounded by loved ones.

I believe there is still a post code lottery to some extent and perhaps your MP can assist with things ! I do hop that you can help achieve some closure

1 Like