Parents died 4 weeks apart, feeling numb

My parents who both had cancer died one month to the day apart. Mum on 13th February and Dad on 12th March 2024. I cared for both of them for many years, as my brother lives in Australia. I saw them daily. My brother got back before Dad died and we cared for him at home for his final month as he didn’t want to go into a hospice. I feel a huge void in my life with them both gone. I feel numb some days and tearful the next. My sleep is virtually non existent. I miss them both so much.

5 Likes

Hello @FiMac1,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your parents. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

Hi @FiMac1
Sadly I remember those days, my mom passed away 3 years this April, :pensive: for the first year I spent most of the time on autopilot, it’s normal to feel numb when your bereavement is so resent.
Everyone is different, & there’s no set way to grieve, some people keep a diary, some make a memory box or scrapbook, some write a letter to their loved one, some talk to a photo of them, it helps to talk on this forum, there are always people to talk to who understand, but you do what works for you. Sending hugs of support

mine are gone too so I know what you mean.

4 weeks apart is trauma for you. massive loss in short time.

it will be a long slow process to adapt to their departure.

counseling helped me tremendously. I would not have made it without it.

and expect nothing from yourself. you are a wounded creature coming from battle.

1 Like

Im so sorry for your loss , please try and be gentle with you , take each day as it comes. I lost my Dad in Dec & my Mum this week, both passings were very sudden & unexpected . Its an overwhelming feeling of sadness , and im trying to adjust to life without them. If you need to talk please prvt message. Sending hugs