Physical symptoms of bereavement

I just wanted to ask a question: can grief cause you to suffer narcoleptic type symptoms (loss of muscle control), severe tiredness as well as auditory and visual hallucinations?. The symptoms started about 5 weeks after my dad’s passing.
My son thought his meds were giving him side effects but I’m beginning to think what’s happening to him is unprocessed grief? Just wondering what you all thought?. He went to the doctor today she was advised to keep a symptom diary and he is going back to get blood tests. I’m just looking for thoughts as obviously we have got the ball rolling with investigating a medical issue

Hi. Gayle.
Yes, is the short answer. When we are in grief and many other emotional problems, the body often reacts by producing symptoms of all sorts of illnesses. It can happen that the mind can’t cope with what’s happened so it transfers the pain to the body. Sorry, this is a bit psychological, but we are dealing with the mind and the body. (‘Psycho’, the mind. ‘Somatic’, the body). Psychosomatic disorders are very common, especially after a traumatic event
Anxiety which so often a accompanies grief, can imitate all sorts of diseases. We can be led up so many blind alleys by such symptoms.
Of course, it’s essential to seek medical advice as you have done. I would be surprised if they find any physical problems. You may find this difficult to believe, but many doctors still won’t recognise psychosomatic disorders. ‘It’s all in the mind’ they say, and dismiss the symptoms. They have little training in anxiety and all it’s awful symptoms. But where else would the problem lie but in the mind? In bereavement the mind often becomes over active. We may have hallucinations or hear voices. I can only repeat that seeing your doctor was a good move. It’s always the first port of call where there’s any doubt.
In my experience I have seen people who have seen their GP for anxiety and have been given a clean bill of heath, but still manifest symptoms of all sorts of diseases. I am not minimising anxiety. It can be as debilitating as any other illness. In grief the mind can play all sorts of tricks which can be frightening. I think you are right about unprocessed grief, but your doctor, if they understand anxiety, will confirm that.
Take it easy and try not to anticipate. Difficult? Of course it is, but what’s easy in grief. Blessings.

Hi Gayle, I believe what ur thinking is true. My mum assed 2 yrs ago and apparently, I’m only dealing with it now. But I am now feeling exhausted and irritable, without any provocation. I went for blood tests thinking there was something wrong physically. I even diagnosed myself with M. E. Flu. But all is well so far physically and all my tests are coming back normal, so they are leaning towards it being about loss, so maybe the same is for u. X