POETRY TRIBUTE FOR MY MAM

Here is the poetry I included for the church service for my mam:

MAM,
You have given me a wonderful childhood and the courage as an adult to venture into the world, to be strong. You have always loved me and I adore you beyond measure. My poetry is inspired by my lovely life. Thankyou.

EASTER SANDALS
Standing proud, little jewels adorn the washing line, waiting for me to set them free. They leap and twirl like acrobats of the high trapeze. Silver threads catch every bit of light that comes my way, and I hear them giggle in anticipation of the day. The hunt for brightly patterned eggs and church bands parading throughout South Shields, with banners high and trumpets loud. So it was in my day. As vivid and refreshing now as Mam’s homemade lemonade.

PASTRIES FOLDED HIGH TO RISE
The buzzing of bees and a lazy bluebottle hum a distant tune as sunshine sparkles and glints its way into every single room. Best china sits in regal splendour 'mongst a thick perfume as, pink cheeked with oven heat, we take our seats to feast upon the delights of a lovely afternoon.

I MISS THE LIVELY HEARING AIDS
The throng of family to a child is indeed a most wonderful thing. I miss the lively hearing aids, busy pinnies serving homemade bakes. Wispy chins of a bygone age. Lipsticks chattering, high-pitched squeals. Bottom drawers, precious things. White tablecloths, handmade, decorative lace. Linen napkins to be placed. Silverware adorning a table laid. Crystal jugs housing milk and cream. Perfumed roses holding centre stage. The ticking of time as we embrace the auld folks of Shields.

CLIMB INSIDE
Climb inside. Curl up. Lay your head and slide into favourite old nursery rhymes, tattered now and tired. Aged, faded with time. Saturated with smiles. Now return to your child.

THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MAKE ME FEEL FULL
To climb inside a world where angels and fairies dwell. Dressing up in Mam’s old shoes, tottering, feeling very grown. You reign supreme in your domain of makeshift tents and sandcastles. Waking with dreams still in your grasp, relishing the threads as they dwindle and pass. Winter nighties, truly bold. Hot water bottles burning toes. Aunties with their treats in store, pinnies bold, lipstick galore. Always new concoctions to try, fermenting rose petals in jam jars nearby. Rags in hair trussed up at night to give you bold new curls. The perfect ballerina in pale pink ballet shoes. With Santa and the Tooth Fairy yours to keep forever. Creeping downstairs for midnight feasts. On a mission for party treats. The fridge a magnet for little feet.

A SPIRIT UNTAMED
A spirit untamed with sparkling eyes and gappy smiles. Baking mud pies under summer skies. Carrot tops and flowerpots. Wispy hair in cotton smocks.

THE TRINKET BOX
A magical merry-go-round of beautiful horses and dancing gazelle in shades of pastel and cotton candy.

HOW I MISS YOUR TENDER HEART
Tradition steeped, of a bygone era. A rich and vibrant tapestry of brightly coloured crochet blankets made over time, passed down from Grandmother to Mother to Child. Knit one, pearl one, learning to knit on the doorstep at home. A vibrant tapestry enriched by the measure of time. Your wisdom a precious commodity to be passed down to a generation bound up in laughter and idyllic daydream.

A poem created for the grand children:

Grandma, You are
All our Christmas’s and Birthdays combined.
Summer picnics on the lawn at mine.
Easter eggs and paste egg faces.
A rummage for treats never ceasing to annoy
Even though you were pre-warned.
The twinkling of stars on a crisp, cold night.
Old baubles taken to become our own.
Extra special barbeques, always full.
Pocket money and tales of old.
Tuppence and every pet we’ve ever owned.
‘Ripley’s Believe It Or Not’, even though I’m now grown.
Cups of tea and home-made scone.
The fairy dell where fairies dwell.
Hot pasties before the fireworks blast.
Our treasures spread upon the lawn.
Picking fruits for pies and jams.
Edwardian Nights with the loud brass band.
Cherry blossom in a flower garden.
You will never be forgotton
Because we will always love you.
You are our Grandma
Sitting in the shade of the old swing chair,
Softly rocking.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading these Christine, thank you for sharing them.

So beautiful such beautiful memories hold on to them well excuse my ignorance you don’t need anyone telll you what to do not at least hold on to your memories so forgive me for that