Prepared food and started crying

I went to Morrisons yesterday and picked up nice ribs. So I started preparing the ribs today and after I put them in the oven I had a breakdown and started crying my eyes out. My husband liked ribs and salad and the memory of cooking together just overwhelmed me and hit me hard. Am I the only one who experience similar situations? Sending love and hugs to everyone.

18 Likes

This is normal, all very normal. You have so many memories and they will flood in when you do something that triggers them.when you’ve been together so long, there’s not a lot that won’t trigger a memory x

6 Likes

… Believe it or not it was black pudding with me first time…:slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

@Annaessex I used to love cooking but now it holds no interest for me as it was something we enjoyed together. I’m conscious that I need to start eating more healthily but I’m struggling to find the motivation. It’s perfectly normal for memories to tip us over into a meltdown. Take care

14 Likes

No youre not ! So many small things bring back memories of our man ! I made spaghetti bolognese on saturday which my husband used to love … it was first time i had cooked it since he passed nearly 8 months ago ! It felt so strange eating it alone ! Its such a solitary life now … i hate it ! People just dont realise or do they even care how hard this is ? Im not so sure anymore ? Im meeting my eldest daughter tomorrow evening after shes finished work ! I hope that helps my mood cos im so fed up at moment … the continued misery of being a widow continues ! ( i hate that word but thats what we are :frowning: xx

8 Likes

I know what you mean it is a long time since I actually prepared a proper meal. I live on sandwiches, and tinned soups, and have sometimes a takeaway. Now and then I have fruit or salad. I eat because I have to but it is not such tasty anymore. Sending love and hugs.

6 Likes

Yep same here … not been cooking like i used to … doing simple things like soup, salad, ready meals ! Not same when its just u is it ? Xx

4 Likes

Nothing tastes good. When did all food start to taste like sawdust?

5 Likes

@Pudding
I haven’t really enjoyed any food since November last year when my husband’s health deteriorated and he had to go into a nursing home on 20 December. I eat to survive and wish there was some sort of nutritional pill we could take, when we didn’t feel like anything else.
Sending hugs x

3 Likes

The nutritional pill would be great. I have had to live on toast again today. I really can’t get my act together as far as food is concerned. I don’t think anyone can really be interested in cooking for one. Xx. Sandra

4 Likes

I managed a jacket potato with some salad for lunch today whilst out with my friend. It was ok but at least I don’t have to bother much now … probably cake!!
Rosemary xx

3 Likes

I can’t get my head round cooking for one, setting one place at the table and seeing one plate and cutlery in the rack after washing up.
Making that one brew to sit down to watch tv !!

6 Likes

@Braztash56 me too. It all seems pointless and just emphasises what we have lost

4 Likes

My wonderful friend is going to cook a leg of lamb and bring me some. I must admit I had a salad last night and it is the first meal I have had since Norman died that I actually enjoyed. Trying to organise with my care company perhaps that they come in maybe once or twice a week and make me a meal. Just trying to work out what sort of thing. Might need to invest in a slow cooker.

5 Likes

The lamb sounds wonderful, you will really enjoy that and something to look forward to. I think you are right to think about getting help with cooking from your care company.
A lot of people I know have invested in an air fryer. I am thinking of buying one, they cook food much faster. My friend even made a cake in one.

2 Likes

Reading about them an air fryer could be good for me. Just need to figure out where in the kitchen it would go as we haven’t got a big kitchen. Xx

3 Likes

I’ve just bought a single drawer air fryer which sits nicely in a cupboard till I use it x

1 Like

I’m lucky that my son in law usually cooks and has me for dinner once or twice a week. Otherwise my diet is pretty poor, sandwiches, crisps & chocolate.

5 Likes

I have made a conscious effort to make sure I eat the right meals even though I think what the hell and could quite easily live on toast, it’s an effort but I do it x

1 Like

@Braztash56 That’s good that you are still preparing nutritious meals. I am conscious that I need to change my ways but can’t find the motivation. Before my husband passed away I cooked from scratch every day.

3 Likes