Really odd day

Ever since my husband died just four weeks ago I could only ever picture him in his hospital bed struggling after his stroke and then passing away.

Yesterday my son brought my husband’s ashes home to me and today I can see him moving around and hear him talking to me and I wonder if it is because he has finally come home and he is content now.

I just can’t stop sobbing I, like many of you out there, miss my dear husband so much and the silence when I open the door is deafening.

Thanks for listening.

14 Likes

Hi @Bernipops ,

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :blue_heart: I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and you are not alone.

Take good care,

Kate
Sue Ryder Online Community team

I leave the radio on when I go out so I’m not coming in to a silent house it helps me.

2 Likes

It’s horrible coming home to an empty house. I did think about getting a cat or a dog but they don’t really fit in with other commitments. It would be nice to have something that would be pleased to see me.
Having ashes home is a double edged sword, comforting in one way, but the finality of it all hits again.
This is a horrible situation that we are all in. It is 9 weeks for me tomorrow.
Sending hugs xx

1 Like

I got his ashes from the funeral director a few weeks ago, when I discovered that they had been languishing there. But last week his daughter asked me for them, so I had to give them to her as I wasn’t NOK. That was hard, I didn’t show it, but cried all the way home. No idea what the family have planned for them.
I do have a dog at home but unfortunately she suddenly went deaf just after he died (maybe the shock?), so she doesn’t hear when I come in any more and I don’t get a greeting nowadays.

1 Like

That’s really hard for you. You loved each other. Next of kin are just words and ashes are just ashes. You had and still have his heart in the most important sense. His spirit will be with you.
Would the family share their plans with you if you asked?
I am sure your dog is still pleased to see you when you get home, even if he doesn’t hear you coming.
Love and hugs. You always have us. Xx

1 Like

Oh, thanks @Willow112 .
Yes, I’m sure they will let me in on the ashes scattering when they eventually decide what to do with them. I’m not made for dithering!
I wanted him to go over a local beauty spot high up in the hills, then I would change my own Will to join him when I go. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Bernipops I think that’s a lovely way to look at it, he’s home now and I’m so glad it’s freed you up to see more than those last awful days.