recently bereaved and looking for support group

hi everyone . I sadly lost my lovely husband of 44 years 6 weeks ago . I feel so lost . we had so much still to do and loved to travel. We did everything together and totally got each other . Ive read many of the posts on bereavement online groups and feel a common thread is not being understood , feeling isolated , seeing people who ask " are you OK ? " or " anything you need " but people who who have not experienced this level of grief will never understand how we feel . We lost our only child in 2010 and supported each other through this and built a lovely life going into retirement together with so many plans . i feel so lost right now. What Ive noticed is there are many online line groups but i cant find any meet up groups . Id love to meet people for a chat , a coffee , a walk , walk the dog or just a hug.
I live in Middlesbrough in North east England if there is anyone out there would like to meet up or create a group were we can support each other . i would love to hear from anyone who feels like i do . Sending out lots of love and hugs to all of you going through grief it is truly awful .

1 Like

I agree with you. I’ve been looking for something the same. Would be so good to meet up in a group with people who really understand but like you can’t find any in my area. I’m also in the north east but in Chester-le-street County Durham xx

2 Likes

I agree…I checked as well but couldn’t find any face to face meet ups in Stafford or else. Nobody would understand our grief, anxiety, sorrow , loneliness or what we are going thru unless they lost someone. Talking to one another face to face might help a lot more.

2 Likes

Hi thank you for replies. I found that the local hospice has a bereavement cafe meeting once a month . I’m going to go and see if it’s still running and how I feel going there. It’s next Tuesday so I’ll let you know. It might be something other hospices do.

2 Likes

Hi Staffiemum, if it is not possible to meet up in person, you could go onto a website called Jitsi Meet -. (video conferencing)

Perhaps you would like to try it out. I use it a lot. (It is free to use and no registration required.)

You need one of these:
A laptop (with a working camera and microphone)
A tablet (with a working camera and microphone)
A PC with a video camera and a microphone

The website is Jitsi meet - https://meet.jit.si/ -you just have to add some words like GrassSandRadioRoadLampTable to the link - https://meet.jit.si/GrassSandRadioRoadLampTable - you can and should make up your own words and replace my suggestion.

You give the link to the friends you want to talk to. - Best not meet with more than 30 friends at the same time. (I use a different link for each of my friends. - I have not used it for a group with more that three people an the same time.)

Let me know if you need any help - it might be a bit confusing the first time and you can contact me if you have problems. - Nick

(I hope I did not break any rules here passing on links.)

@Staffiemum Sorry if I missed it, did you go? If so, what was it like? I’m looking for help from the hospice where my darling Sharon passed - but think I’d prefer 1 to 1 conversations rather than a group, but…?

It’ the hug I miss, I need to hug her and tell her how much I love her.

3 Likes

Hi , yes a hug from my hubby would be lovely , and a kiss, and a chat, and him just being here with me . So I could tell him how much I love him . I tell his photo all the time. But obviously it’s no where near the same . Xtake carex

2 Likes

I would very much like to find a group near me, I’m in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Does anyone know of any groups in my area?

1 Like

I feel the same the same, meeting up with people who our going though the lost of loved ones i feel it would help me, nothing in Norfolk that i can find

1 Like

I’m sure people are the cure but again nothing in my area either. Pembs.

1 Like

Hi …I feel the same i lost my husband 3 months ago I can’t get it in my head ill never see him kiss him hold his hand laugh with him dance with him I’m in fuerteventura with my daughter(booked January) I’ve got a photo with me beside my bed I wear his aftershave now so I can smell him all the time x

3 Likes

I kiss her coat that hangs on the chair she used to sit in. I don’t know why it works but it seems to be comforting. I’m lucky to have had 42 wonderful years together. I always knew this time would come as she was 9 years older than me but I was still unprepared for the finality of it.

Kisses for all xxx

1 Like

Hi
My husband was 10 years older than me and he had cancer which we knew would take him but you are right nothing can prepare you for the loss and the loneliness.
Take care x

3 Likes

I don’t know if this helps anyone but I’ve found a support group through the Bradford bereavement centre website, next meeting 16 September at 10am. You have to register to attend

1 Like

@Julia2022 I think my darling Sharon passed away at roughly the same time - like you, I simply can’t understand deep down that this has happened, that it’s not temporary and maybe she’s just having an extended stay in the hospital, that this is now permanent. I just can’t get it…so I totally get where you are…

1 Like

hi everyone and thanks for the replies …it nice to share our stories and know we are all in the same boat …not one we want to be in at all but nevertheless we cannot change anything . We all seem to have similar experiences of missing our spouses / partners enormously . i did contact my local hospice but they dont have the staff at the moment to run the bereavement cafe . i have benefited a lot from emailing a few and chatting to a few people who are recently bereaved . If anyone feels they can benefit from this im happy to talk , chat , email . I m not sure if we can share email addresses on this platform or if you can private message ?

You can private message, you click on the persons name and it comes up with the option, i start my conuslering tommrow, feeling a bit nervous about it all

1 Like

Hi Nigel2,
I truly feel your need.
I miss Isobel’s hugs so much it hurts.
I miss the “I love you’s” and the laughter and banter we had.
I miss her constant chatter and even her flatulence, lol :laughing:.
I feel so dreadfully lonely, although I have caring family and friends.
She was my soulmate and I’m lost without her.
I yearn to stroke her face just one more time and feel her love.
Although I feel her presence, I miss her physical touch.
It’s only been 4 months since her passing but it feels a lifetime.
Sending love and hugs your way x

2 Likes