Reflections

Just back from taking Winston and Ada for a walk around the field, they love to run about off lead, loads of bushes etc, as they ran around all the fallen sycamore leaves, my thoughts wandered to this different life I’m now living and building.

I suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude and the feeling of being blessed for the shared life I had with my husband for 52 years, 50 of those as husband and wife, we were very young when we married, we grew up together, we went through family traumas together, supporting each other, the disagreements over his channel hopping during the adverts and sometimes during an actual programme, I would welcome with open arms the chance to relive all those moments again. We grew older together, he looked after me, kept me safe, I looked after him too. we were great sounding boards for each other. we had different interests yet the same outlook on life, loved our family life together as one.

We loved our holidays to far flung places, he mocked me when I’d try new experiences, one particular experience always takes me to happier times, when we were staying in Nuevo Vallarta, I decided to try Parasailing, never done anything so daring before, so there I was, eye level with the birds over the Bay of Banderas, Alan on the beach filming my daring deed, when I landed back on terra firma I went to look at the video he’d recorded, he hadn’t turned the bloody camera on had he! the following day I repeated the experience and made sure he filmed me this time, I wanted evidence of my daring deed because no one back home would have believed me. we had many comical incidents together, far too many to count, he made everything special.

reflecting on this and the life we once had really makes me feel privileged and blessed to have loved and still love such a wonderful man, to share our lives together, to have two lovely children (now adults themselves) and to have so many shared memories to keep with me along the road of this different life as I make new memories for the both of us, my husband may no longer be by my side in the physical sense but he is ever present in the spiritual sense. As I travel this different road, so does he in spirit.

Today’s walk on the field was one of reflection, reflection in the life I once shared with my husband and anticipation of the life I now must live. Leaving a very peaceful and serene warmth in my heart.

hope today is an improvement on yesterday and tomorrow is an improvement on today

blessings

Jen🦋

11 Likes

Hi Jen
You are an absolute star. We need more of these sort of posts. Reflection on the life we have been lucky enough to have experienced.
My husband was my third husband as I was his. I felt a failure in marriage and decided it wasn’t for me. Then one night I bumped into Brian. Neither of us wanted a relationship but nine months later we was married. Thirty years of happy marriage followed, so I wasn’t such a failure after all. We used to say we made it. Third time lucky.
Your post about your wonderful relationship was what I needed. I went onto another topic which was full of negativity. I moved on quickly. Then I opened up your reflections and you have made me feel so much better.
Like you I use my walks in the countryside with the dogs to reflect about my different life. Yet is isn’t that different. I still walk, just as I did with Brian. I still have our allotments to tend, just as I did with Brian. I still feel him close, I still chatter away to him and I look forward to being able to do this for many years. God willing.
Your so right when you say ‘anticipation of the life we now live’. We have no real choice.
God bless you Jen and many thanks
Pat xx

4 Likes

thank you Pat

hope today is an improvement on yesterday and tomorrow is an improvement on today

blessings
Jen :butterfly:

Thank you both Jen and Pat. It is strange not having my remote hogging Gerry here. I too chat to him and feel he is with me in spirit. It’s 21 weeks today since he died so still quite raw. I want to hold on to the positivity as much as I can. Take care, Janet x

1 Like

Hello Janet
Do keep that positive attitude even when you feel it might have deserted you. It does at times, so don’t worry if you have those raw moments of intense pain, just keep telling yourself that the next day will be better.
I am convinced they are there with us. I never stop looking for a sign.
You have your cats to take care of just as I have my dogs and what a comfort our pets are plus we have to think of their welfare don’t we. if it get’s tough do some Yoga to take your mind off your pain. It really does help. I bet you have already discovered this for yourself.
Bless
Pat
xxx

2 Likes

Dear Jen and Pat
You are both so right - I am also grateful for my life with Jack, for the family we created. I am blessed to have had Jack in my life, and I also know that our love is not dead
Sadie x

2 Likes

Hi Sadie, I used to think that when you lost someone close you had to learn to live without them and it was as simple as that. How wrong can you be. Love is certainly not dead and many of us have said we love them more than even now which proves a point. We was all blessed to find the love of our life.
Bless
Pat
xxx

1 Like

Hi Pat
It just shows how little we knew. This is why I find so hard to take advice from people that don’t have a clue!!
Sadie x

1 Like

So very true Sadie. Took the loss of Brian for me to realise what it involved. Fortunately grief is talked about much more now than it was when I was young. I have been fortunate and not many people have offered me advice. I am not one to take it anyway.!!!
Pat xxx

1 Like