Regret putting down my cat

On Saturday I chose to put my cat to sleep. I now regret it and I can’t get past it. I hate myself. I just made the wrong decision.

He was my best friend, there every day for 16 years. The most insanely fantastic cat. Not just a cat.

Hello @cgray,

I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your cat - it sounds like he was very special to you.

Thank you for reaching out. We have a support page about coping with the death of a pet on our Grief Guide which you may wish to read.

You may also want to get in touch with Blue Cross Pet Loss support. They have trained counsellors who can talk you through your loss. You can speak to them on the phone or online. Their helpline is 0800 096 6606 and it is open from 8.30am - 8.30pm every day. They also have a Facebook community which you may wish to join.

I hope you find the community to be a support to you and that you can reach out for more support, if you should want to.

Take good care - you are not alone,

Seaneen

Blue Cross were sadly not great. One person ended the conversation (chat) with no warning. Another person said things like “Maybe the vet wasn’t very good”.

I’ve reached out to a grief counsellor but can’t access this until 6 months after death

Blue Cross were sadly not great. One person ended the conversation (chat) with no warning. Another person said things like “Maybe the vet wasn’t very good”.

I’m so sorry to hear that, @cgray. Please do keep posting here - you will find lots of support.

1 Like

Hello @cgray firstly I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my special little guy today and I’m utterly heartbroken. Honestly I don’t know if we ever feel like we did the right thing. Making that decision is the hardest thing to do and I for one hope I never have to do it again. You hope they will just go in their sleep, so you don’t have to make the decision, but in reality it’s the last thing you can do for them but it hurts like hell. My little fella was only ill for about a week, but then they told us this morning he had cancer in his liver, as well as existing heart condition and he wouldn’t survive the treatment. He was 18. And within an hour he was gone. We had to make that choice for him, so that he no longer suffered, but I just wanted to bring him home and keep him forever. I’m completely lost without him and I feel sick to my stomach that we had him pts but I know deep down I couldn’t make him suffer because I wanted him to stay. I don’t know your circumstances, but I am sure you did your best for him, or you wouldn’t be grieving. I hope it gets better for us both soon xx

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss. :heart: It’s such a hard decision to make and I think we will always second-guess ourselves, but in those situations there are usually no good solutions, only bad or worse and we have to choose what brings them the least amount of pain. Even if our hearts break from the pain of losing them. :people_hugging:

In the past I’ve have found the site below helpful and hope that you will too. There are forums and FB pages, information and links to support and counselling.

1 Like