Returning to work after bereavement

Well first week of work (well 3 days) over and actually it wasn’t that bad, my head is still in the clouds a bit and full of cotton wool until it starts working properly, but I think going back is probably the best thing I have done since it all happened. At least in terms of getting me out of the house and trying to take my mind off things a bit.

Work is really busy all the time and you don’t get time to turn around never mind sit and think of things, which I suppose is a good thing and everyone at work has been lovely and really supportive. But still the coming home to an empty house is the killer and a couple of times I have caught myself checking my phone for a text or phonecall from him, think its just automatic as he used to do it all of the time.

How is everyone? x

3 Likes

Nice to hear how you have been getting on returning to work. The days are much different gets us out the house and some normality days are going way to fast I’d say mind you. Like my work it is always busy so no time to be thinking about anything.
I’d agree it is the best thing I’ve done is back to work.but now I can’t sleep at night which is frustrating
Hope next week goes as well as can be for you x

1 Like

Hi yes back at work also even though don’t really like my job it’s normality to me to as been there 26yrs but like you it’s going home to empty house so I don’t for now straight away I go to friends for tea till bit l8r which is not straight from work which helps a little bit sending hugs :relieved:

I know what you mean about the empty house, I don’t have the opportunities, to visit friends, so after work, it’s home alone, 15 months, since I became just me, some days are worse than others

I know what you mean, it was always just me and him, have friends at work but don’t do much outside of work, so its really me just home rattling around in the empty house. Its soul destroying, its only 12 weeks for me but feels like much much longer.

Time hangs heavy, guys at work, have suggested, going out, but Covid, prevented plans,so I don’t know how things will work out., went to a pub with my son( from a previous relationship) on Friday, then sat alone ,all day Saturday. Shells last few years were full of ill health, so I was at work, or caring for her. Now it’s work and emptiness. So little free time has turned into too much free time.

When i went back to work after lossing my husband i had asked the manager to let people know i didnt want to talk about it i was ok with "im sorry for your loss " but i cant deal with their sympathy and i knew i would just break down every time they spoke to me iv been back 7 months now and have spoken to certain people about it but i still break down hope all goes ok when you return i find it gives me a reason to get up in the morning take care

How are you getting on with returning to work? How have things been. Very difficult I know

Bit left field maybe , I am doing things I would neverof done normally . I just put shoes on , jumped on a bus , and come into city centre, for a drink, fish out of water, , brought Shell with me on the rings I wear on my chain . Feel a bit strange. Take care.

Hi

Sorry I forgot about posting back on here, it’s actually not been too bad at work, takes your mind off things for a bit whilst your there as it’s so busy you don’t have time to think much. Everyone at work has been so lovely and most of them have come over to me personally to see how I am, even all of the doctors that I work with which is really nice. Even some have said I was brave for going back.

I think if I had of stayed at home much longer I would have drove myself mad, you just overthink things and made yourself worse at times. I know it sounds daft but it probably the best thing I have done. My head still sometimes isn’t in the right place and I can still be a bit forgetful snd still getting up to speed but I think people understand snd are accepting of this.

How are you all, how’s everyone doing? Xx

Sam xx

Glad you made it to work and through the day today x Hopefully your work family helped you get through the day so very but it helps pass your day x I don’t work on a Wednesday and if I don’t get myself organised and out of the house early ?

Yeah i find it the same, if you are off and you don’t get yourself up and ready early and out - you don’t tend to go out and just loll about. x

This weekend has been very difficult and sad for me x I didn’t get out my walk yesterday morning as the weather was so awful which was a bad start to my day (and I couldn’t pull myself out of the sadness and sobbed all day about the loss of my darling husband)
Today was a little less painful and I am trying so hard to be strong for my darling husband, my daughter and grandchildren! I am hoping tomorrow will be a little easier when I am back at work (which is a good distraction) hopefully :crossed_fingers::pray::broken_heart: