Sacha

This year has really been hard i should be celebrating my 50th birthday in October but I don’t want to my mum was my world with out her days like today I wish I could hear her voice and smell her perfume it’s been nearly two years without her in September I didn’t grief for her I had to stay strong as I am the eldest I have had to bite my tongue for all this time my brother was my mums favourite I was a daddy’s girl I loved my mum to bits we got close when I had my two beautiful girls then when my dad died 7 years ago we go closer I have now found out that my mums will isn’t right I don’t want to argue with him as my mum said not to but my brother has now decided that the house our mum has brought he wants to keep he can’t afford to buy a place so he has decided because he owns half that he don’t have to pay rent I don’t know what to do I have a council property but my partner said it’s unfair as we pay rent why should he get it for nothing I am in a bit of a predicament? He has now said he wants to get a tenant and rent the space upstairs I don’t think it’s fair I wish my mum has said you both sell it once I dye but my brother was in the house before she died due to looking after her then she was taken to a hospice to pass then my brother said you can’t get me out what do I do !!!

You need to see a lawyer asap because if your Mum left half the house to you and your brother wants to stay in the home he needs to buy you out. In layman’s terms he needs to pay you your share, he can remortgage or get a loan to pay you but legally he can’t just decide he’s staying there and not giving you anything, I think you could even force him to sell it so you could get whats rightfully and legally yours. He can’t go against your Mum’s wishes just because he has decided he wants to stay in the house. I know you don’t want any arguments and you are still grieving but your Mum wanted you to have your share so don’t just walk away and allow him to call the shots.

Thank you it’s so hard because he is on his own and I have my girls to focus on it’s really hard as I could do with my share and my eldest could do with the money to pay for a deposit on a place and my younger daughter could do with a new car as she starts her new life adventures but I just can’t be the one to break the family up it’s only me my brother no aunties or uncles and my daughters and partner

I understand that Sacha and it’s not all about money but he is being totally selfish and is doing you and your girls out of what is legally yours. Why should your kids and yourself be done out of your inheritance because he’s decided he wants to stay put. Go and see the lawyer who did your mum’s will and ask advice, if you can’t afford a lawyer go to citizens advice and they will tell you what options you have but please don’t let him away with it, he’s taking the p##s and because you are being too soft with him he’s getting away with it, I am with your partner he’s spot on, why should you get nothing because your brother has decided that’s the way it is. He doesn’t have a leg to stand on legally so stand up to him and tell him what’s going to happen :rage: the ball is in your court .

1 Like

I wish our mum never bought the house she would be doing her nut if she know what’s gone on after her passing but thank you I just needed that kick up the bum xx

1 Like

Hi @Sacha49
I’m very sorry for your loss.
I have been the same position as you but with an ex abusive partner. When I left the house we bought together, for some unknown reason he assumed I’d not only left him but the house as well. Legally if you and your brother own the house between you, you can do a forced sale through the courts. If your brother comes to his senses, given the facts he may decide to pay you out or sell the house. If not and a judge sees he’s being unreasonable, he can force the sale.
Maybe your brother just needs to told gently of the law regarding the house and hopefully there won’t be much of an issue :crossed_fingers:
I wish you well, and hope you get it sorted soon xx
Many solicitors have a half hour free consultation which may put your mind at rest about the logistics.

1 Like

Thank you it’s hard to talk to him about the house but something has to change glad you got sorted and thank you for the advice I think in the Easter holidays I will see a solicitor and citizens advice take care from sacha

All the very best with it and it and I hope you get what’s rightfully yours
Take care :heart: