Scared of death

Since losing my dad in September and being there when he died …death and horrible thoughts of dying dont leave my thoughts im petrified! All i hear about are people dying who i know or people i know of through others, people telling me its the circle of life, you’re born to die etc how does this help!! Its become a proper phobia now, anyone else have these thoughts?

3 Likes

Yes! My fear of all things medical was horrible. I couldn’t have conversations around hospital/drs/illnesses or dying but seemed to suddenly be surrounded by them!
The death of somebody close brings on thoughts of our own mortality and possible deaths we might suffer, so from somebody who’s been there, I hear you.

5 Likes

Well im sure we all have that fear at times . But we must try and enjoy the life we have been blessed with . Im sure your dad would be upset to think you are finding the thought of dying rather than getting on with living and doing the things that make you smile . X

3 Likes

True, my dad loved life x

1 Like

It’s 7 weeks since i lost my Mum and I am the same. I think about it a lot and have severe panic attacks over it. It is debilitating xx

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss, its very scary. Jeff has a valid point if only that easy x

4 Likes

I wouldnt say i was scared of death, but after losing my parents and now my wife, its made me more aware of my own mortality. More specifically, how long do i have to go?
Of course its something no one knows.
Grief makes all of us overthink to the point of paranoia at times. We fixate on somethings that dont make sense. For example ;my wife passed away within an hour of the nurses putting in a syringe driver. In my traumatised state i thought the nurses must have had something to do with it. Nonsense of course but it was a very real fixation for me.
Your fixation seems to be fear of dying itself. I’m hoping that your fixation melts away like mine did.

4 Likes

Hi , I’m not scared of dying , I’m more scared of living this lonely life for a very long time . It’s over two years since my husband died , yes I’m used to him not being with me , I have learnt to adapt to it . But that doesn’t mean I like living without him . It all seems pointless. I understand before he died , death did scare me . The actual process of it . I wasn’t with my husband when he died , what I will regret forever. But I was with my mam , when she died , I was 23 at the time . And it did haunt me for years . Hope you find a way of overcoming your fear , and living your life the best way you can , im sure that’s what your parent would want xtake carex

2 Likes

I totally understand you . I dont fear death infact some days i welcome it . And for me 2 years 3 mounths since i lost my girl . Im 74 this year . And think is this it now . Then i think please let it end !! X

1 Like

I did actually think that I would die just after my husband did of a broken heart ( apparently it is a real thing ) but it never happened. When death does come to me , I know I will welcome it with open arms . I believe my husband will be waiting for me . I have to believe that . And if it’s not true , I will be dead and it won’t matter then .

3 Likes

That’s what I think . I even have the scene in my head how we meet again in my mind . And I cling to it !! x

2 Likes

Me too , but he will always be 59 and I’m getting older as the years go by. Will he even recognise me , crazy these thoughts we have in our grief minds x

1 Like

Well think of it as you both looked when you parted . As i do x

1 Like

Hi @Sierra
Personally I don’t fear death, I see it as I’ll be reunited with my baby.
Did you know that statistically, the top 3 phobias people have, are spiders, snakes, & the most common phobia is death, so you’re not alone, I think it’s because no-one really knows what happens, & it’s something they have no control of.

1 Like

Well im probably putting my neck on the block . But i think most people that fear death go to church !! But then im not into fantasy myself !!

1 Like

We are born and garanteed to nothing can stop that. However, just remember the good/ fun/ best times you had with that person whom passed. Because your phobia of you passing is not going to help you, it will just take longer to get over it…! You need to live…! and do do do your best to do you…!

1 Like

I hear that bout church fantasyp

Nice for being real…! Many people may state that your making a unknown statement and you may get some rude replies. However, people go to chruch for MANY reasons…!

1 Like

I dont, I’m interested in life after death. I might be the best experience ? go watch some nde on you tube. Death May not be the end but the 1st stage of the journey.