Selling my family home

My mum died in 2018 and I bought my sibling out as it was my mum’s wish for one of us to take the house on.
Following her death, I have really struggled with her loss. My marriage has broken down and my husband wants to sell the house. Neither of us can afford to buy each other out.
How does anyone deal with not only the loss of their mother (or father) and then have to sell the home that was the family home? I lived in that house from the age of 7. It’s been in the family since 1978. I held my mum’s hand in that house as she died. I’m really struggling with the loss of my mum, the loss of my marriage and now it’s going to be the loss of my home which has so many memories and emotions connected to it.

Please tell me how you managed if you went through the same heartbreaking time and how you dealt with the emotions. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hello @BereavedWirral53,

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. I’m just giving your thread a gentle bump - I’m sure someone will be along to share their thoughts.

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss.

Can I ask a question. You say you bought the house. If that’s so, why has your husband told you that you have to sell it.

If I was you I would be getting some legal advice before you do anything. How dare he choose now, when he knows you’re grieving, to say such a thing to you.

Your emotions will be all over the place. Please don’t do anything without talking to someone.

Keep coming on here and talking to people. Sending hugs :hugs:

1 Like

Is his name on the deeds? If his name is on the deeds, are you joint proprietors or tenants in common? If the latter, what proportion does each of you own?

(It sounds like the house was owned by you and your sister and is now only owned by you, in which case he has no claim to it whatsoever).

1 Like