Sepsis

I was wondering how common sepsis was for people diagnosed with cancer.
I have read alot of stories and sepsis seems to be a common factor to most.
My partner battled for 3yrs with stage 4 cervical cancer and when she passed it was a combination of the cancer and stopping her antibiotics for sepsis.
I also thought sepsis would be more of a problem for patients with cervical cancer and permanent cathatas.
How wrong am I ??
All in all ,it is a horrible infection.
Is it because of a low immune system ?
For patients to catch sepsis is it formed by the patient themselves or people around them bringing it in?

1 Like

My husband died from throat cancer in September 2021. While he was having his treatment in the may if that year . He went for his chemo treatment , but he couldn’t have it , something about his blood . That evening he felt really poorly , he has never once complained about anything , so I knew he must be ill. We phoned the Macmillan , as we were told to . The nurse kept saying it was because he had his chemo that day . She wouldn’t listen to us , so I had to get very angry on the phone , telling her he had never had his chemo that day . We were then told to go to our nearest A and E . He was in hospital for nearly a week . I wasn’t allowed to visit him , when he came home from the hospital he told me he had been in ICU as he had sepsis . I don’t know what caused the sepsis , but I know his mouth was full of ulcers and infected with the radiation treatment he was having for cancer . Luckily he got over the sepsis , and managed the rest of his chemo and radiation . He was told in the begining of September his cancer has spread to various places , but they would try a different chemo. He died a week later , on the day his different chemo was suppose to start .x

I am so sorry to hear how badly treat youse were by so called professionals meant to look after our loved ones.
But with some hospital staff who my partner was under there care ,I seen with my own eyes some uncaring practises which might be abit trivial,but i was shocked.
It is your right to be heard and if anyone knows something is wrong with your husband thats gonna be you.
Sepsis needs to be treat early if you want to stand any chance,and with your husband going through treatment allready making him vulnerable to picking up any kind of germ,they should treat you with upmost respect and beleave every word you say.
Myself i spent more time in hospital in the 1990s and nurses used to puff your pillows up and you got one to one care.
But now i dont know what the reason is with a minority of staff who seem not to care at all .
I hope you are doing well
What has happened to us all really hurts.
Take care.x

1 Like