Shall I go to counselling?

I have been fighting the urge to go to counselling for a few months due to being ruined by grief. I have finally plucked up the courage and come to realisation it may help me. Does any one know the best way to get started with counselling? I have signed up to NHS talk therapies but not sure the waiting time.
I think talking to someone about how I am feeling and what I am going through it may help me cope with grief better.
Has anyone done counselling before and how did you find it? I will greatly appreciate hearing about other experiences with counselling.

1 Like

Hiya. I’m a fan of counselling. But,like anything, ii isn’t a one size fits all and you need to find something that works for you. I believe that Sue Ryder do online counselling and you could contact Cruse but they have a significant waiting list. It might be worth trying bereavement groups in your area. Talking to others face to face may be good and they may be able to recommend someone. Or your GP. My work arranged counselling for me but its with the wonderful Roy who is a life coach rather than a bereavement counsellor. Seeing him has totally altered my perspective of pretty much everything and it was just what I needed. Focusing on moving forward. Which is something we all have to do whether we want to or not. Good luck, take care x

2 Likes

I have been going to a private counsellor for a few months now and I can honestly say it has helped. My Keef died just over a year ago and she has helped me talk through our relationship and all that I have to deal with now. I have lots of friends I talk to about him but have found it very helpful to speak to someone who never knew him. We were together nearly 44 years so there are lots of things I need to go over.

1 Like

I had counselling when i lost my dad many years ago and am currently waiting for more now I’ve lost mum. I found it invaluable. Its time solely for YOU - unlike with friends you dont need to feel guilty that maybe youre boring them or about hogging the conversation, and you can be completely honest and open with them. Plus they can often help you make sense of things, give new perspectives or share other experiences of grief with you in a way that a friend cant do. So if you can find someone you feel comfortable with, i think its at least worth a try. If you dont get on with it, you can always stop. :heart:

2 Likes

I think counselling would do me good but I 'm quite shy and find it hard talking to people about my feelings, etc. Since mum died l have hardly talked to anyone outside of work. Do you think counselling will help me? Thanks xx

Had a work occ health referral phone call today, went over everything, took 1 1/2 hours, they are recommending that I have counselling and should try and book via work. Also suggested weekly 1:1’s with my line manager and to go back to GP re. different medication to help me sleep. Hoping things improve :crossed_fingers:

Does anyone know how long it takes NHS Talking Therapies to contact you? I self referred a week ago and apart from the automated email I haven’t heard anything else. Thanks x

Even NHS Talking Therapies don’t want me, received an emailed letter from them today telling me to contact Cruse for bereavement counselling. Feel a bit let down, when I googled NHS Talking Therapies it mentioned bereavement as something they help with.

Oh no thats not good - do they not deal with bereavement then? Sounds to me like theyre passing the buck to try and keep their referrals down! Sue Ryder also offer counselling so it might be worth checking them out. Please dont give up! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like