Sibling loss

My older sister (and only sibling) died almost 5 years ago - and I’m now the same as she was when she found out her cancer was terminal, and I’m really struggling.

I felt I’d coped fairly well until now - and now I feel like I’m living like I’ve only got a year to live as well.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Dear @Anne72

Welcome to the Community, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister and that you are struggling. What you are going through is normal and part of the grieving process, for some people grieving goes on for years. I have not felt the way you do but there is help out there to help you with the way you are feeling.

There is a Grief Guide by Sue Ryder that has information and support to help you understand and cope with your bereavement and grief along with exploring your emotions and feelings. It would be worth you taking a look at this guide.

Cruse Bereavement have information on Losing a Sibling which may be of help and support to you.

Have you considered talking to your doctor as to how you feel and for support or even consider Counselling? Sue Ryder offer a free Online Bereavement Counselling which you may wish to consider. You start by registering and then you will be invited to book an assessment.

You can also connect with members here on the Community by typing Losing a Sibling in the search bar, the support is amazing.

You are not alone, please continue to reach out, we are all here for you. If you need further information please email online.community@sueryder.org.

Take care.

Pepsi