Sick MIL interfering

I’ve recently moved to London from NZ after my fiance proposed to me. His mother has terminal cancer sadly. I don’t know anyone here, so she has been my saving grace.
When I first met her, she was so lovely, warm and welcomed me into the family. As time went by she started to detest me to the point where she’s been saying things to her son to make him not want to marry me… im heartbroken and confused.
It’s affecting my mental health, I cry every day and my anxiety is at it’s worst.
I feel so helpless.

I would greatly appreciate any advice
Thank you

1 Like

Dear @Evemae

Welcome to the Community. I am sorry to hear that your future mother in law is terminally ill.

I would have a chat with your Fiancé and let him know how you feel. When someone is terminally ill or nearing the end of their life they may suffer from mood swings and personality changes.

I would not take any of this personally and put it all down to the condition that your Fiancé’s mum has. It could be that she scared and anxious about what lies ahead and anger is her way of dealing with her condition.

I would continue being an amazing daughter-in-law by supporting her son and being there for her.

Please continue to reach out here, you are not alone and we will always listen.

Take care.

Pepsi

2 Likes

It’s so complicated, he’s so conflicted. I’ve never made him feel like he has to choose, but his mum has blocked me and won’t speak to her son because of his choices and because of that he’s so cold toward me.

But thank you for the lovely message. It’s so hard to find a safe space to talk about something so delicate

1 Like