Sister in hospice

It’s 5 weeks since my sister was confirmed with 3 inoperable brain tumours and I’ve taken time off work to be with her every day. We are incredibly close and talked or met up every day. She was given four weeks to 6 months to live on 10th June.
She married the love of her life on 21st June 30 years after they met.
She is now in a hospice and this is the first day I’ve taken ‘off’ for myself, only to find myself crying and reading this site.
We’ve talked at length about her funeral plans and reminisced over thousands of happy memories, but I’m struggling to see her get smaller and weaker and hear her saying she just wants to go. I was just coming to term’s with the sadness of losing our mum in January too.
What did anyone do to get through this unpredictable heartbreaking experience

3 Likes

Dear Anna, I’m so sorry to read this.
It was my daughter. Her sister doesn’t live nearby and they weren’t in daily contact, but she also dropped everything to be with her, and she is devastated, taking it even harder than me, though to lose your child, of any age, is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.
Katherine went into the hospice, her choice, when cancer spread to her brain in February. She also married her life partner, after almost 30 years, in the hospice. She also reached the point when she’d had enough and wanted to go to dad. She passed away on 9 March.
I hope you will find comfort and support here, and I hope you believe you will meet again.
With love :heart: Ann

Thankyou for your message, I am so sorry to hear about Kathrine, I hope you are all supporting each other as much as possible. Sending you all love, and yes we do believe we will meet again, which is a little comfort xx

1 Like

Hi Anna, I also lost my sister, 22 months ago. She was 53, and had a recurrence of breast cancer. She was in a hospice, and due to the pandemic I was unable to see her as much as I wanted. We were extremely close, and I still miss her so much. We are going to scatter her ashes in September in a local place she loved, and I think that will be beneficial for me to visit and feel closer to her.
I read something on this website about keeping something with you from your loved one, that would have been very helpful for me.
Sending you lots of love. X

1 Like

Thankyou for your reply and I’m so sorry about your sister. I hope scattering her ashes brings you some peace, and thanks for the advice of keeping something with me xx

1 Like

I have a bracelet that was Katherine’s, her husband gave it to me and I only take it off for a shower.

Aww, that’s a lovely thing to treasure x

1 Like