So confused and guilty

My husband was diagnosed with serious heart failure in 2009. He then seriously hurt his back in 2016 by coughing and was laid up for 3 months. He also had really bad sciatica where he lost feeling in his big toe, some of his foot and leg. He then had a massive blister on his leg and went into hospital for cellulitis in 2018, he then went in again with three infections resulting in him spending one week in ICU. Nothing happened 2019 and then of course COVID. He became paranoid about getting it and I could only go to the pharmacy and he didn’t like me speaking to the neighbours, just in case. He passed away on 5 Feb this year, he had put on so much weight because he was hardly mobile which affected what was left of his working heart . The love of my life was in pain and suffering and though I would wish it otherwise I am glad that it is no longer happening to him but there are times when I hate him for leaving me.

The guilt is because I suddenly have freedom and I’m enjoying it (sometimes). Am I doing all this too fast. Meeting friends, going for coffee even just food shopping, which he didn’t like me doing and also because I couldn’t/wouldn’t leave him for long. I have had a massive clear out, he cooked and I have got rid of nearly all his gadgets because I don’t. I changed our large car, we were going to do it anyway, so I changed it for a mini. His clothes have gone except for a couple of jumpers and the tie he wore at our wedding. I wear his aftershave. Just wish all this feeling would go away.

1 Like

Hi. I can understand why you feel confused and reading your post it will take you some time to sort out your feelings. Honestly you do seem to be managing very well with such big changes in your life so please don’t feel guilty, that’s the last thing. Grief does make many of us feel we should have done more or things differently, that’s all in the past and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Like you have also kept a jumper and a couple of tie’s, they give me comfort.
Life changes so much when we find ourselves alone and we also change, no regrets because we have to stay here and have some life. Don’t be hard on yourself, take care. Sxxx

1 Like

I think you are incredibly brave and strong.You have had years of stress and heartbreak.If anything gives you some pleasure and comfort grasp it with both hands.xx

1 Like