Something I never realised before

6 months since my lovely Grahame died, and I am on holiday with my 17 year old granddaughter- her idea.
Today I realised something I had never thought about. My granddaughter encouraged me to climb a small mountain. I couldn’t make it to the top, and she left me to sit in a beautiful spot while she went on. It was only then I realised how much Grahame and I supported each other’s ‘frailties’. For years we managed his angina, taking things slowly, stopping if he needed to. But he could walk miles at a slow pace, when sometimes I couldn’t, and we turned back. He was more agile and could climb stiles when I couldn’t. But we never left the other one behind. If one couldn’t do it, neither of us did it. We didn’t talk about it - it was just what we did.
It’s good to have realised it, sad that I never noticed it before, and today it broke my heart all over again.

17 Likes

Hi @Bluebell47,

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :blue_heart: I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and you are not alone.

Take good care,
Alex

2 Likes

So sorry you have lost your love. Its good you managed to do that hike and had someone to share it. Its sooo very hard to accept the person who had your back is now gone & its just you. I am 2 years 5 months into losing my beautiful big loving protective funny guy and I pretend to cope, grief turned me into an awful liar. And i keep reminding myself, he’s not dead - he is missing. Not moved any of his ‘toys’ either, cant do it.

4 Likes