Something to put in his coffin.

I’m going to write a letter and put a red rose in with him but I’m wondering if anybody else has put any meaningful things in the coffins of their loved ones. I’m particularly thinking of something that comes in two halves so I can put half in with him and keep the other half myself. He’s being cremated so I believe it can’t be anything metal. Thanks in advance x

1 Like

@LostLil My brother in law put a silk red rose in that hed given my sister. He had given her 1 every anniversary for the first 12 years so one went with her and he kept the rest. I put in a little wooden token shaped like a teddy that said Big Hugs on it that id sent her just the week before she died. He put in a pillow case which felt like a sort of teddy bear fabric and her fluffy socks she loved. And he put in a teddy bear he bought her. I think thats all he put in that wasnt metal.

1 Like

@LostLil also a ball of wool and a crochet hook as that was her favourite hobby.

My wife had saved a rose from her wedding bouquet in 1974. I found it in a box days after she had passed away. I placed it in her hands when I went to see her in the chapel of rest. Her sister wrote her a letter with all the things she wished she had said when she was alive. :heart:

2 Likes

I took newspapers. Daffodils. A small bottle of scotch. A small bottle of wine. & a can of bitter. All over 2 weeks. He loved to read, & enjoyed a drink. I said to the undertaker that he could just take out what wasn’t allowed - but not tell me. I only saw him the once, but wanted him to have things, & they were great to do this for me. I was happy that I tried to make him happy & comfortable. Xxx

1 Like

@Tammy2910 thats a good idea, telling the undertaker to take out what wasnt allowed but not tell you. My dad was buried so there wasnt an issue because my sister and i want him to wear his glasses as he looked really odd to us without them, and a little plaque Id got him for Christmas just before he died that says “always remember you are loved”.

I didn’t ask and the directors put in with mike what I left with him, picture of us all on holiday, my Minnie mouse ears, my teddy that I have had since a baby to keep him safe, chocolates and I put a precious bracelet on him he bought for me one year. I’m sure anything would be fine for cremation x

1 Like

I did hide the bracelet though, I put it on him when I was in my own with him so maybe they did take it off, but that’s ok x

I put our wedding picture in and a pic of our dogs also the hospital gave me a keyring with a detachable heart in the middle i have the keyring and jims has the heart in his hand.

1 Like

Hi @LostLil, I put in the photos that my husband carried in his wallet, also the hospital gave me two little hearts on the day he died. One I put in Doug’s hand the other I have in his memory box.
Debbie x

2 Likes

We were told anything was allowed which I was surprised at

I put lots of things in. I’m still thinking of things now, 7 months later. I wish I’d put him a pot noodle in!
From memory although I have a receipt somewhere:
Hip flask with whisky, peanut m&m’s, photos, red rose, £10 & his wallet, wedding ring, teddy bear, a sprout (I always put one on his roast so it was a running joke), t-shirt saying he was superman which he never got to wear, some ashes from his dog, charm that matches mine and bits I can’t remember.

2 Likes