Somethings not right

Do hospitals have to put the right time of death down on the records,
I was never told what time my partner died just when I got to the hospital after they told me to come in ASAP they told me he had just passed ect we weren’t expecting it to happen ect which made me want to get a copy of his medical records, they come today, but his time of death has to be wrong as they said he died nearly an hour after they personally told me he died. The upset me a little

Hello @Tracey40

It’s not the right thing to say, but welcome to the forum…I’m sorry for your loss and that you find yourself here. There are kind and helpful people here… it is good to share and know that others understand.

I would have thought the hospital have a requirement to record the correct information re time of death…I’m sorry to say that doesn’t mean mistakes don’t get made. It could be the person who wrote the entry made an error or it could be the person who told you was wrong. Also though, when my husband died (on intensive care) it had to be verified/confirmed by a doctor …I was with my husband throughout & he passed a good while before the Dr came to do this…I think he was giving us space which I appreciated. So the verified time of death for my husband was probably different to when it actually happened. I’m sorry, I’m not sure if this is helping, but just wanted you to be aware.

I can understand your upset completely. If you want to look into it further, your hospital should have a PALS service (patient advice & liaison service) they could investigate for you.

I do feel for you, it such a horrid time, you don’t need the added upset or uncertainty. I hope you are able to find out what you need. Take care xx

Ask for a meeting with them.