Songs...

@Stargazer wow, that song is absolutely wonderful. I’d never heard it before but the lyrics and the music are really special. It must be great to have memories of seeing the Moody Blues together, I bet that was really something.

@RichardM this is actually a good song, I was expecting a rubbish song or parody by the title (which is a truly great honest title but doesn’t do them justice!) but the song is also surprisingly good! I have never heard of this band but I am glad you have these memories with Karen.

Thank you both for giving me some minutes of actual happiness and wonder listening to both of these and knowing you are both out there somewhere willing to take the time to share them, it meant a lot just when I was at a bit of a low ebb after Nights In White Satin, thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that song. It was very special to us too. Even more so now.

2 Likes

This has just played on the radio. I think everyone will be able to relate to the words. :cry:

3 Likes

Filmed in Glasgow, my home city :blue_heart:

Really nice song but I couldn’t listen to the last minute or so as it made me cry too much. All those people missing each other at Christmas that can have each other again if they put some effort into it or wait and (I know some of you believe otherwise but I cannot) I feel no matter how hard I try or if I wait 60 long torturous years until I die at age 100… I won’t have my husband again :frowning: Beautiful song though, maybe next year I can listen to it in full.

Anyway to cheer myself up I found this one. It was the song I used for the entry song for my husband’s funeral because he played it daily on YouTube from his phone next to me on the couch and I knew it would give me strength as he was always laughing when singing it and imitating the various band members in turn.

It caused a few raised eyebrows on the day of his funeral as it suddenly blurted out very loud at the start of the funeral through the silence as his coffin was being taken from the hearse, making everyone jump and caused a wobble from the pallbearers (which I think he would have found funny!) and I have videos on my phone of my husband dancing around our living room to this (sometimes we did together laughing) and one in particular of him in the kitchen with his top off and a bowl on his head emulating the bongo player and laughing a lot with me laughing hysterically in the background. I showed my mum that video a few weeks ago and she said “oh had you both been drinking?” and I replied no this was just a regular evening for us… we had so much fun. Anyway
It never fails to make me smile and the lyrics (if you can make them out as the singer is zonked out on something!) are quite apt now too.

Even if I win girl, you know it really won’t mean too much
What I want baby most of all is the only thing I can’t touch

If I give you my heart would you love me forever
Would you pick up the pieces if I stumble and fall
If my world falls apart could you keep it together
If I can’t have you I don’t want no one at all

Just because I’m so quiet
Just because I don’t cry
The hardest lesson to learn girl
Is how to take it inside

There’s leather and jewels to soothe me
But it really isn’t what I need
There’s an aching hurt inside of me
And it’s the kind of thing you don’t see

1 Like

Donna Taggart Jealous of the Angels

A friend sent me this and yes it makes me cry cos it was 8 months on Sunday that my angel was taken xxx

2 Likes

@Honeybee31 I love that song it’s speak so well
Shona xx

Jealous of the Angels is indeed a lovely song, I love the Donna Taggart version you have linked to. I think it was written by Jenn Bostic, I mentioned earlier in this thread that Karen and I saw Jenn perform in a small concert in March this song was in her set. It was a very special moment at the time, made more special by what has happened in the intervening months. Thank you @honeybee31 for posting the link

2 Likes

I think we become very skilled at finding songs that reflect in some way our feelings. Not all the words will be accurate but some will touch you, give hope, evoke memories. I can’t count how many times I have broke down whilst driving due to the words of a song.
Music was an intrinsic part of our life, from the very first moment we met. Over the years we wove a wonderful musical tapestry. In my husband’s final days in hospital I was there 24/7 and on a speaker at his bedside our music over the 49 years we had been together was played.
I continue to weave…hard in the early days…but that connection is the one that brings the most comfort to me and I know he expects me to.
This juke box was started after 2 members shared songs and the meaning of them with each other. It has become one of the most beautiful threads on the forum, thanks to each and every one of you :notes::blue_heart::notes:

4 Likes

I’m dreaming of you and our love, as always.
Sending love to everyone :rainbow:

5 Likes

Please keep posting… love this thread.

I loved several songs by Metallica before I met my husband, when we met I found he also did and he’d gone to see them live in Amsterdam. This is one of the theirs we used to listen to together.

“So close, no matter how far
Couldn’t be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know”

3 Likes

Now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you’re not here
To get me through it all

4 Likes

I used to listen to this album when i was in my teens as I watched the show Ally McBeal then in the mid-late 90s. This song maybe is more about someone leaving in a conventional way but the lyrics have been coming to me recently so I listened to it for the first time in years as I keep thinking, how on earth can motorway traffic still be going on or the seagulls still eating chips people are leaving, why am I getting reminders for a smear test or eye test or how can that man who walks his dog every day past at 9.30 still just be doing it.

1 Like

Not sure how you post song on but hope this works. So meaningful to us all

3 Likes

“Not a day goes by that I don’t think of You” - not a minute goes by that I don’t think of my wife. :cry: :broken_heart:

3 Likes

Certainly not the most popular version of this song, but it is the original and it is also my favourite version

Badfinger Without You

2 Likes

This was one our songs

3 Likes

Another song/artist from our musical tapestry. Great live band and memories :notes:

2 Likes

This Songs thread opened with this song and it was suggested that it was reposted. Well worth it. Springsteen was one of my husband’s favourites. :heart:

6 Likes

Oh WOW! xx

5 Likes