Sorting through his things

I thought i would go through some paperwork and put some of it in the shredder but i found myself going through it thinking I want to keep this and this and this, something about the letters being addressed to my partner and even the bank statements tell a story about our life together so clearly I am not ready! Anyone relate?

I’ve been unable to move any of my wife’s things. Even mundane things such as a cloth she kept next to her chair in the living room for cleaning her jewellery. It’s the same with paperwork, like you say, each letter helps to tell a story about their life even if it’s just a letter saying how much their phone bill was going to be that month. In short yes I can relate as I’m sure a lot of others will too.

2 Likes

June my wife passed suddenly and unexpectedly on 8 December 2021 in front of me. I cradled her as she died.

Between the holidays I checked a cupboard and found my Christmas card in a sealed envelope. I have not been able to open it. Maybe next year maybe not. Everywhere I look there is her handwriting.

I have years of medical records for unconnected matters to go through but know it’s early days. June was a twin and her sis said she will help me. It’s the small things which keep catching me out and causing me upset. Some days worse than others.

I think it’s perfectly normal to feel like this. I lost my mum before Christmas and I can’t move her slippers as that where she left them before going in hospital not sure if I ever will be ready to move them. Normally mum had her glasses and phone next to her table in the front room I put them back there. Finding bits of paper with her writing on is hard

1 Like

The night June passed her everyday watch wedding and eternity ring were removed by the attending Policeman. They sat on the kitchen table where she passed until June’s Funeral when I finally moved them. I used to pick them up as I passed. June never took her wedding ring off in the nearly 44 years we were wed. It’s very difficult to say the least.

Hi Beth
yes i do i have a few things of my husbands and i carry his watch around in my bag with me every where i go so i have a part of him with me loads of photos and his mug that he used but i dont allow any one to use it

I know how you feel. My wife’s rings were returned after her cremation and I immediately put her wedding ring on my little finger next to my wedding ring. And there it will stay forever and a day. Love and Light.

1 Like

yes its nice to have something pesonal with you it feels comforting
i know some one who has some of her husband ashes put in a ring she wears all the time and her daughter did the same

pat