Still stuck in grief

It’s been over 5 years since I lost my wonderful mum to COPD and I still feel as if the world around me is no longer real. My brain doesn’t function properly and I can’t relate to anyone around me. I have tried counselling early on but the number of sessions are too limited to make any real difference. I have read a number of your posts and my heart goes out to you as I identity with all of the feelings you are describing. My mum was my best friend and my reason for living and I would gladly have swopped places with her to enable her to live.

Listen Carol, i spent every day with my mum. I feel ur pain, loss and sense of not being useful. My mum was my life, esp as my hubby worked away. The only thing that will keep u going, is knowing that there are other people in the world who are feeling as u do. Keep telling people how u feel, keep sharing ur experience with others, and most important, keep ur mum alive in everthing u do. I went through a stage where i couldnt even get out of bed. But i kept thinling, my mum would be calling me all names for lying in bed at this time. And then she would say, get up ya lazy cat!!llol.xx

Hi Theresa, thank you for replying. I don’t know anyone who is going through what I’m going through so it helps to read other messages on this site. I’m sure people think I’m weird because they think I should be over my loss by now. I have M.E. and depression so I’m definitely struggling to get out of bed each day. I recommend anyone to get a dog as if you oversleep they’ll be happy to let you know it! X

1 Like

Carol, grief doesn’t read books saying after so long it leaves you alone or does what the counsellor says. It’s something that we have no control over. Yes try counselling again, to be honest anything that you feel may help but not medication would be my advice. It never really leaves but you grow to be use to the pain, tears and heartache.
Some days it gets you down and it’s like a spiral staircase that goes down and down and finding a way up again it difficult. Think of it as each day being different and take each day as it comes. Look after yourself.
Blessings S

1 Like