Struggling still

I lost my husband in July 2021. He was 62 and I was 56. I’m 58 now. I had been his carer for many years. Due to financial difficulties I started work a few months after he died. I have now begun working in a care home but am struggling with anxiety and my mental health. I get short tempered with people and feel like crying all the time. I would just love some time to destress but can’t not work. I’m not sleeping very well which also doesn’t help. I just don’t know what to do.

1 Like

Hello @Anita5, I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about the death of your husband. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I am sorry that you’re feeling so anxious. Many people do struggle with anxiety after a bereavement. There is no timeline for how long grief lasts, or how you should feel after a particular time. I wanted to share our How long does grief last? blog with you. It might help to understand some of what you may be feeling right now.

Are you getting any support for your mental health right now? If things are getting too tough, you might want to contact your GP to talk through some options. We also offer free Online Bereavement Counselling which is held via video chat.

I really hope you find the community to be a support, too. You are not alone,
Seaneen