Struggling to cope with my fathers death

I am a single mum of 4 children , I separated from my abusive husband over a year , my parents helped me through this difficult time. My father became ill and was diagnosed on Dec 11 2018 with liver cancer and passed away at home 19 Jan 2019 . He was cared for a home and the kids and I were there daily to see him and care for him, to see him deteriorate so fast and to be there when he passed away has been hard for all of us . I keep thinking of the day he told me and how we cared for him and watching him die , I work full time and during the day I am pre occupied but at night when the kids are in bed and I’m alone that’s when it all hits me , I’m trying to stay strong for my kids and for my mum but finding it all too much at times …

Blondinka, I’m sorry to hear about all that you’ve been through. This must be such a difficult time for you and your family.

It sounds as though you’re being the rock for your family and it’s understandable that you’re finding it too much at times. Do you have close friends or other family members that you’re able to turn to for support? It’s important to have that support network in place, whether it is a friend, a work colleague, or this community.

If you would find some additional support helpful we also offer online bereavement counselling. This is a free service and sessions are held over video chat. There’s more information about that here, if you’re interested: https://support.sueryder.org/bereavement-counselling

Take care,
Eleanor