Struggling to cope

Hi everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I feel like I’ve spiralled these last few weeks. My mum suddenly passed away over six months ago. I’m on edge. Constantly. I can’t focus in work. I’m irritable. I’m having panic attacks. I can’t seem to focus on anything but my mum.
Counselling was helping but it had to stop as it’s through work. It kept me focused.
I feel like I’ve gone backwards and I’m tired of feeling so damn low. Every single day. I feel like my friends are tired of me going on. It’s a lonely old place this journey of grief.
It never gets any easier. I’m not sure what else I can do.

Hello @54321,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mum. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m just giving your thread a gentle, “bump” for you - hopefully someone will have some thoughts to share.

Take good care,
Alex

2 Likes

Dear @54321

I am sorry to hear of loss of your mum. Grief is a horrible journey of emotions, it is a rollercoaster ride with good days and bad days. All of which is normal. Grief is a journey to be taken at your pace. It is not a race. Everyone has a different grief journey.

There are resources by Sue Ryder which may be of help to you at this time.

There is a useful Grief Guide that contains information to help you understand and cope with your bereavement and grief. When you feel ready, it would be worth having a look at it.

It might be helpful for you to book and appointment with your doctor to let them know how you feel and to see how they can support you if you have not done so already.

You mentioned Counselling sessions stopped as it was through work. Sue Ryder offer free online Bereavement Counselling which you may be interested in. It would be worth having a look at their website. It is all done through video chat.

There is also a blog on Losing a Parent which may be of help and support to you along with Stages of Grief .

There is a Grief Coach text service, which sends you personalised text support via SMS. This is helpful for family and friends too.

You are still in the early stages of grief of losing your mum and what you are experiencing is normal and part of the grieving process. It is a painful journey. In time it will get easier but that does not mean you will forget your mum. You learn to accept that your mum is no longer here.

There is an organisation called AtALoss that has useful resources and information for Bereavement support. On their website if you look at Bereavement Services and go down to the Location to see if there are any groups in your area.

Cruse Bereavement Support have a blog on Grief and Loneliness which may be of help and support to you at this time.

You need to be gentle with yourself and take one day at a time. Not easy I know. Keep reaching out here, you are not alone, we are all here for you. We understand the pain of losing a loved one.

Take care of yourself.

Peppers xx

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your helpful message. I will definitely look into some of your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
You’re right - grief isn’t linear. It’s just so bloody hard. Every day.
Thank you for your kind words x

1 Like

My pleasure @54321 - we are all here for you on this hard journey.

Take care.

Peppers x

1 Like

Hi, I completely understand your feelings. My mum passed 2.5 months ago and I am really struggling to get through each day. I have had to drop a day a week at work, as I want counselling. I find myself bursting into tears without reason and I know it’s affecting people around me. I don’t have any suggestions, as I’m probation the same state as you are but I do hope you can find away forward and learn to cope day by day.

1 Like

Do try the counselling - i promise you , it’s really helpful. It helped me to process things and to realise that my feelings are normal.
It was helpful to talk things through properly too.
Please take care of yourself. I hope you are ok x