Struggling with mum's passing.

Last year my mum passed away from cancer, she had Pancreatic, and i’ve always lived with her so now i’m all alone and to top it off i have to move out of the house we shared and i have to get rid of my pets but they are the only things that have kept my sane so it feels like i’m losing everything.
I will be honest and say that i have thought about taking my own life so that i don’t have to live with the struggles anymore. I have three other siblings but there is a big age gap between all of us so i never really had a close relationship with any of them as they had their own lives by the time i was born so i’m pretty much on my own.

Hello @snowglobe I’m so sorry - you’ve been through such a hard year, losing your mum first, and then the home you shared with her and your pets as well. That’s a lot to cope with, and I find that everything is harder when we feel on our own with it all. I also have siblings but they don’t talk about my mum - she died last month - and it makes me so sad. I have found lots of really good support on this site and realised there are so many people struggling with grief and loss - I hope that knowing there are many of us who understand what you are going through will help you feel less on your own.
Take care and remember people are here x

Thank you for the response I was recommended this site from Cruse and I knew that I had to try it out. I do feel better knowing that there are people here who are going through the same as I am because I don’t feel so alone now.
I too am sorry for your loss because it doesn’t matter how old we are or how long ago it was; it still hurts x

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear about your mum passing away @snowglobe. You’ve been so brave to post on the community about how you’re feeling, it’s a really positive step and we’re all here for you. I’m hearing how difficult the loss of your mum is feeling for you, it’s sounds really tough being on your own and not feeling close to your siblings who could be a source of support. Are you receiving any other support outside of the community at the moment?

If at any point these thoughts of wanting to end your life become overwhelming and you’d like a safe space to talk them through, I’ve listed some organisations below that you can reach out to anytime you are struggling.

• The Samaritans are always there 24/7 if you need to talk about anything that’s on your mind. You can call them on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org.
  • Shout are contactable by text, 24/7. You can text SHOUT to 85258 and talk to them about anything.
  • Stay Alive App - is an app that offers useful information to help you stay safe. It’s available on Android, Apple and Desktop. -
  • You can also find your local NHS urgent mental health helpline.

If you’re interested in counselling, we offer free sessions here at Sue Ryder. You can also make an appointment with your GP and ask to be referred to counselling or other support services in your area.

I hope this helps, do keep posting here whenever you need to. As a community, we’re here for you :yellow_heart:

Thank you @snowglobe you’re right it doesn’t matter how old or how long ago. I’m 57, and am struggling with the grief. I miss my mum every day, some much worse than others. As you say, it hurts. Do you read other posts on here? I have found that also helps. Nothing can take away the pain, but I just feel a little less alone when I read them x