Struggling with the loss of my father - will it get easier?

My father passed away four years ago at the age of 64 and yet I am struggling to get over the loss as if it happened yesterday. My father and I were estranged from each other for the last 12 years of his life. My mum and dad divorced when I was 3 years old and he would come see me every Saturday. I did not have the best relationship with my father as he would often hurt me emotionally and I decided not to have my father in my life anymore. I was 14 years old when I last saw my father alive. At the time of my father’s death, I was already grieving for my beloved grandfather and trying my hardest at being a mum to my one year old daughter. The cause of my father’s death is inconclusive as they couldn’t find an explanation as to how or why he died. Four years on, the loss of my father still affects me today as I have often regretted not getting in touch sooner with my father to make amends. I grieve for the missing years we have lost and for what could have been if he were alive today. Will feeling like this get any easier?

Hello @WelshSongBird1992 ,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather and father that brings you here.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help you right now.

You may also find the following Sue Ryder article helpful;

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex