Struggling

I lost my Dad 9 weeks ago and I’m finding it so hard. I’m trying to juggle my home life, work and helping my Mum that I’ve had no time to properly grieve. My Dad was one in a million and I miss him so much. My brother doesn’t live nearby and so I feel responsible to see my mum as much as I can but I’m struggling. I feel guilty for not being with my own family and guilty for not seeing my mum. She feels so alone as her and my dad spent all their time together. I just don’t know what to do for the best

Hi Janey, I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and that you don’t feel that you’ve had time to properly grieve. It is important to support your mum, but your own feelings are important, too, so try to be kind to yourself, and give yourself a chance to grieve. Bottling up emotions can make things worse in the long run.

Is there anyone that you can talk to about how you are feeling - such as a partner, friends or other family members? Writing things down here is another good outlet for many people, so I’m glad that you’ve taken that step. While you wait for more replies to your post, you might find it helpful to have a read of some of the other recent conversations in the Losing a Parent section of the site, and post replies if you see anyone you’d like to talk more to.