Sue Ryder

Many years ago I met Sue Ryder, i cant quite remember if she was visiting her shop or opening it. The place was Walsingham in Norfolk, it happens to be my Earthly Spiritual Home, a place my grandparents were born, g.grandparents buried and where my maternal rootes go back to at least 1600s.
Sue Ryder (Baroness of Warsaw) along with her husband Leonard Cheshire, were remarkable people.
I remember this gracious lady, small in statue, strength of character, so gentle to talk with, her face lined with lifes experiences. I often thought there was a sadness in her eyes. I know her faith was very important to her.
We had both been born in Yorkshire both from the then West Riding.
How thrilled although I feel she would have been humbled to realise that her legacy has continued, not only through her shops and homes
(One being near Snettisham, Norfolk ) but by this amazing Sue Ryder support Forum.

Thank you so much to The Support Team, friends who pass on their valuable advice
This is where you will receive Compassion, Empathy, Support and Genuine Love in abundance. You will never be judged.

Irene

2 Likes

Dear Irene, what a lovely post and interesting too. With regards to your last 3 lines - Hear, hear! Well said xx

Good morning Kate
It was after reading a heartbreaking post yesterday, I realised how blessed we are to have this ‘place’ where we can bring our deepest agonising thoughts and feelings. Knowing someone, a stranger will be there to offer emotional and practical advice and most importantly within our own homes.
If needed, a brilliant Online Bereavement Counselling Service, our Community Manager Priscilla and her Team to help.
I notice people who’s names haven’t appeared for months suddenly appearing, maybe just needing that word of encouragement.
All come about by this remarkable lady Sue Ryder. Thank you.

1 Like

Both herself Margaret Susan Cheshire, Baroness Ryder of Warsaw, Lady Cheshire and her hubby Geoffrey Leonard Cheshire, Baron Cheshire were both remarkable people, if one reads their life stories… both done such a lot for charity…Leonard Cheshire Disability and the Sue Ryder Foundation, founded in 1953…What a perfect and wonderful match who were blessed and brought together…

Jackie…

Yes Jackie, A remarkable couple who did so much for humanity, they never sought the limelight, except to establish their charities.
Irene x

Hi Irene,

What a nice post - it is lovely to hear your memories of our founder and your kind words about how this forum has helped you.

For anyone who would like to know more about Lady Sue Ryder, there’s some more information on our website: https://www.sueryder.org/about-us/our-founder

Priscilla…
…thank you, the video is a real eye opener, what a wonderful lady…I hear she served in North Africa and Italy, same as my late father, he as a paratrooper and fought on the front-line, so i am aware that what Sue Ryder witnessed was horrifying due to the stories my father once told me, although father never spoke too much of the horrors…Now i have seen this video i have more admiration for her, such a special lady indeed…

Jackie…

1 Like

Dear Peace45
Thank you so much for sharing. It must have been a wonderful experience to have met this amazing lady. When I joined this site I began reading up on her and she was truly an awe inspiring woman. Again thank so much for sharing this insite into the life of Sue Ryder. We all have a new appreciation and understanding of this wonderful woman whose legacy continues to help us all. Also I love and appreciate the sentiment that you shared at the end it is certainly a lesson we can all learn and carry with us.
Thank you.
Meebee

What a lady!!!