Suicidal thoughts

I lost my ex partner 5 weeks ago and we’d been apart for less than 5 months when he died. He was 46. We were still in contact and on friendly terms. I missed him, he missed me too. I’m having a lot of thoughts about suicide and I keep saying ‘I want to kill myself’ when I’m alone. I don’t really want to kill myself , I don’t have plans to. I’ve just been having thoughts about it.

Having thoughts about no longer wanting to be here is quite common for people who are grieving. Often the pain and heartache feels overwhelming and we think we can’t cope.
I know you have said you don’t want to kill yourself and its only thoughts , but if they become too much please make sure you reach out to someone for support. Either friends / family or the Samaritans or cruise can help as well as nhs 24.
It’s not long since your loss so everything will be feeling raw at the moment.
Keep posting here if it helps. Lots of support and understanding is here from folks who really get it.
Take care of yourself and keep talking. I find it really helps to get things out rather than bottle them up. Xx

3 Likes

Thank you. I will keep an eye on them. I start bereavement counselling tomorrow so I can speak about it there too xx

1 Like

Hello Suzanne,

I think I know what you are going through. I was not suicidal as such but I thought my life was empty, painful and not worth living. Don’t get me wrong, there are still bad days like that but I just go out into the local park and spoil the dogs with some treats. Talking to new friends does help too. It is not easy at times (like today) but I know there will be better days.

Just take it day by day and make new friends. Well, I did. - For me it is now two yeas and five months, and, I am still here. There are some bad days but I can manage and so can you.

Take care.
Nick

1 Like

I felt the same and even googled best ways to die and shocked myself by doing this, the Google search told me to call the Samaritans. I spoke to my GP and have been put on antidepressants which help. xx

2 Likes

I to have had these thoughts and still do sometimes. I just wanted the pain to stop, it was so intense and I never thought I would cope, i just wanted it to stop. However, i have coped and wouldn’t put anyone through this by doing anything stupid. It seems pretty common to feel this way.

4 Likes