Supporting My Daughter

It’s been a week now since my daughter buried her husband. 2 years of anxiety and pain, of hope and then acceptance as her husband battled stage 4 cancer. From diagnosis to his passing it was 18 months of a roller coaster journey.

His passing was traumatic and my daughter stayed with him as she had throughout their marriage and his illness. I am so proud of her. He was so brave.

Nothing could prepare her or her young children for this loss.

We are taking one day at a time and acknowledging some small but significant steps forward.

Getting the kids to school, walking the dog, making the dinner.
It’s so painful for all of them and for me, as I feel the loss of my son in law and the pain of my daughter and her children. I am out of my depth, I can’t fix this.

Today our 7 year old little boy didn’t have a good day but he has a good teacher. He has done some bereavement training.
My 9 year old grandson seams rational, he says at least daddy isn’t in pain. The toll of watching someone die of cancer is enormous and these are young children.

I know my daughter will never get over this and neither will the children, but I know in time they will grow around their grief and their loss. It’s just so painful to watch, to hold her up and to be by her side.

She held her husband and sons in her strong arms for the last 2 years and now it is my turn.

The pain and the grief are profound. A life without him seems unbearable…
I know you won’t have answers but if you have advice or ideas please help me help her.

4 Likes

HI Gigi
sorry for your daughters loss of her husband
i think you are doing everything you can do for your daughter and she must be glad she has got you there as a support
all you can do for her is to be there for her with hugs when she cries and the children too it will be hard for quite a while but you all have to just take one day at a time and baby steps with your help she will get there and it will help both of you being on here reading other peoples posts and getting help and supprot from others that are going through the same feelings you and your daughter are going through i lost my husband of which would have been 54 yrs next month just over 10 weeks ago and this community has helped me a lot
try and keep strong for her and there is a lot of help out there if you need it

pat

2 Likes

Hi to you both, it is always nice to hear the support we can give to each other in particular when that special person is so young and leaves a family with young children. Can I add my condolences to you both and yes hugs and just being there is so necessary. Sending you both big hugs and blessings. S xx

2 Likes