Technical problems

This is going to sound really stupid. Im a bit of a technophobe. I can manage reasonably well most of the time, but my partner did most things such as phones, tv, broadband, security doorbell. Im trying to cancel subscribtions without much luck, the security doorbell has completely gone on the blink and the company we are with arent much cop. I suffer with anxiety so talking on the phone sends me into overdrive. Im not looking for suggestions or help in that sense, my brother is going to help me when hes free. Its just so frustrating what with everything else weā€™re going through, i needed to vent. I havent slept more than an hour at time since my partner passed, my doctors just sent me a link for self hypnosis. Im just not coping well and i worry im effecting our daughter

Hi @Dimples81 ,

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :blue_heart: Iā€™m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and you are not alone.

Take good care,
Alex

Hi @Dimples81

Firstly, I just wanted to say Iā€™m sorry for your loss & that you have found yourself joining us all here, where we never wanted to be.

I can understand your technophobia a bitā€¦ my husband used to sort out Sky & the tv, he loved his sport, but I eventually stopped it all. I had to get my brother to sort out all the cables, etc, & get terrestrial tv working for me. Much like you by the sounds, Iā€™m pretty competent most of the time, but this particular job was just not for me.

In terms of coping generally, I found early on (Iā€™m currently 2 years in) the best way to cope was to try & achieve or get sorted just one thing per dayā€¦rather than overload myself with lots of stuff all at once. Make a list of what you need to sort (so you donā€™t forget them) & just tackle one off the list each day. It helps gives some focus and stops things whirling around in your head.

I was fortunate enough to do a Mindful Awareness course through work many years ago and I have really drawn on that since I lost my husband. The basic premise is that you really focus & zone in, as best you can, on what you are doing at any given time, whether it be the dishes, brushing your teeth or being out for a walk. There are also relaxation techniques which are helpful. If you have a look online youā€™ll probably be able to find more infoā€¦ you donā€™t need to have done a course like me. It really does help stop what I call a ā€˜helicopter headā€™, flying all over the place, but it can take practise so you might have to be patient.

I hope that may help you a little bit & wishing you all the best as you go forward. Take care x

2 Likes

Thank you sweetheart

1 Like

Hi @Dimples81 , good advice from Barncat, I often use mindfulness as well when I get wound up, it can work well.
Whilst Iā€™m not a technophobe (Iā€™m a man) but I have had to struggle to sort out the myriad of things which our wives used to ā€œjust sort outā€ without our appreciation. Such as, what size underpants do I wear, how do I shorten some trousers legs, how do I make those wonderful Yorkshire puddings she could make ā€¦etc, etc?
Iā€™ve made good progress, except for the puddings!

1 Like