The cruellest part of grief no one warns you about.

Grief doesn’t just take your person, it takes the world you knew.
Your routines, your normal, the version of your life that made sense when they were here.
It’s like you’re suddenly living in an alternate universe you didn’t ask for.
Grief is a house where the chairs have forgotten how to hold us, the mirrors how to reflect us, the walls how to contain us.
Everything around you looks the same, but nothing feels right. You sit in the same chair, but your body won’t relax. You pass a mirror and don’t recognise who’s looking back. You go through the motions, but the motions don’t go through you.
And the walls? They don’t hold you like they did. They creek, they feel like they might give out if you let yourself fall apart. No one prepares you for that.
Grief doesn’t just take your person, it takes your place in the world and somehow you’re expected to keep going, to show up in a life that no longer fits. I feel more lost now than I did in the beginning. Back then the pain was visible. The world paused and I was allowed to break. Now everything looks intact on the outside, but inside I’m wandering in circles. No map, no destination, no clue where to go.
I don’t just miss my partner, I miss the version of me that made sense when he was here. The future we planned, the dreams we shared. But grief steals from your future. It rewrites your story without permission and you’re forced to live a life you didn’t choose.
People love to say grief gets easier over time. It doesn’t. You just get better at carrying it, and some days the weight still crushes you.
Maybe feeling lost isn’t something you fix. Maybe it’s something you learn to live with. Maybe the house will never feel the way it used to, but you have to live in it anyway.
Even when the chairs won’t hold you, when the mirrors won’t reflect who you were and when the walls carry the weight of it all.
Because grief doesn’t only leave behind absence, it leaves you in a world you never wanted, and somehow you have to find your way in it even if you have no idea where you are going.

23 Likes

@Alone1 That is a poignant statement. I am so sorry you feel lost in your own house. I didn’t chose the life I’m living now either, but it’s the only life we have and should not let it be permanently lost to grief. We will likely always grieve, but must find who we are, all on our own. I wish us both luck in this reconstruction of life, that your mirrors reflect you and your chairs are once again comfortable Cindy :pink_heart:

5 Likes

I agree with every word of this. :broken_heart: You have put into words something that is so incredibly difficult to explain to people who haven’t experienced this kind of loss.

Grief doesn’t just take the person we love; it takes our routine, our security, our plans, our future and, in some ways, the person we were when they were still here. The world carries on around us, yet ours has completely changed. Everyone else seems to be moving forward while we’re just trying to work out how to exist in this new life we never chose.

And I especially understand the feeling of being more lost now than at the beginning. At first, people understand that you are broken. Then time passes and the world expects you to start functioning again, but inside nothing has changed. The pain is still there, only now you’re expected to carry it quietly.

I don’t think we ever “get over” losing someone we love. We learn, somehow, to carry the love and the pain together. Some days we manage it better than others, and some days the weight is simply too heavy.

I miss the person I was too. I miss the life that made sense. I miss the future I thought I was going to have.

And maybe, for now, it’s enough that we don’t know where we’re going. We can take one day, sometimes one hour, at a time. We don’t have to have a map yet. We’re grieving people trying to find our way through a world that suddenly feels completely unfamiliar.

A :mending_heart:

15 Likes

Alone1
So true. I often wonder who I will be if I ever get to the other side of grief.
Not the person I was,I am changing already,quieter but more outspoken and little silly things that I used to worry about just dont bother me any more.
I truly understand that life is very short.

8 Likes

I feel exactly the same. My way of expressing it is to say my entire life has changed – the food I buy (and the supermarket insists on offering to me in every blinking email) is no longer the same as only they liked certain things or now it’s too much for one person. Coming home from shopping I have no one to tell about who I saw and what I did. Most of all I miss being able to talk about things from the trivial to the important. My entire life has changed and no one seems to realise that. Thank you for seeing this out loud – it helps.

10 Likes

I agree with all of this, the house feels oppressive now. The only time I feel at peace is in the evening, sitting in his recliner chair watching TV. I think I’m feeling worse at eleven months.

4 Likes

I’m more honest about things too, not to hurt anyone, but just quietly that way. I’m more honest w/ myself, too, about what matters. A lot of life is just noise and not really worth engaging. I search for things that give me peace now, that is worth it for me.

5 Likes

@Norma1 My favorite time to. Evening, TV, candle lit for Ron!

2 Likes

Wonderful post.

1 Like

Hi. That is just such an eloquent description of grief. I haven’t a clue where I am or where I’m going. Take care.

1 Like

Hi. That’s exactly what I do as well. I feel less anxious in the evening. Take care.

2 Likes

@Norma1 I have come to think, that it is the darkness…

1 Like

@Alone1 that’s a really good way of expressing what’s happening to us.
I’ve been trying, and struggling, to find a simple analogy I can use when people ask me how I am.
The best I’ve come up with is that it’s like Heather and I have been dancing a waltz together for 30 years, holding each other close as we whirl across the dance floor, laughing, smiling and just happy to be experiencing this dance together. And then, with no warning, she’s gone and I’m still whirling around but because we’re no longer holding each other I’m now off balance, out of time and continually bumping into the other dancers - who can’t seem to understand why I’m not just dancing normally. And although the whole point of me dancing has gone, I can’t get off the dance floor. So I stay - out of place, out of control and disconnected.

7 Likes

@BlueCanary Brilliant!

3 Likes

Well, if I wouldn’t be aware of going to church today, I’d be crying loud after reading this post. I don’t want to rebuild my life for some caricature that tries to replace what is irreplaceable. Some people can do it, I even can’t imagine. I’ve lost too much in my life and even though I didn’t want to cry, I’m crying again while writing this comment. There is a danger that I’ll lose my house the next month, so there won’t be a place to come back… I love every tree in my garden, every leaf growing on branches, every plant, every corner, everything… If I’ll lose it, it’ll be like dying with my most beloved husband… This is the cruelest to me!

4 Likes

Hi Janka, sorry for all this hassle you’re having with your house. It just adds layers to your grief. Have you made any contingency plans if you’re told to move out suddenly? It’s unthinkable, but you’re better being prepared. Take care.

3 Likes

Sounds very intense. I hope things quiet down for you and settle in your favor.

2 Likes

Dear Noreen, if it’d happen, they must give me some time to do it. Yes, I’ve planned everything with my best friends in my country and I have a couple of older friends here who are helping me and they’ll go with me to the court as my support, because I don’t have a lawyer anymore. They already cost me too much. I’ve collected all of my proofs against my husband’s greedy adopted children, especially his Korean adopted daughter who has committed crimes against me, so I shouldn’t lose my house, but she is the most sadistic person I’ve ever met, paying her very aggressive lawyer, but she still have to pay the half to me, if it’d be sold, so I can buy something to live in when I get home. I still hope that God will help me and it’ll be me who will make a decision, not hers. I hope that you’ll find some solution for you too. People do anything for money. Hugs from Janka

3 Likes

Dear Nancy, I hope so too. Hugs from Janka

I agree,me too.1 year today,terrible,so unreal and painful.Will this ever end?

4 Likes