The knock on effect

I lost my Dad completely suddenly & unexpectedly in 2022. He went to bed one night and never woke up.

It’s the knock on effects I am struggling with…

• Health anxiety over my little daughter, who coincidentally was born just 4 days after his death.
  • Panicky feelings if I can’t get hold of my Mum. - Usually a perfectly innocent explanation.
  • Needing to be near my phone so I never miss a phonecall. My Mum rang me to tell me the news about my Dad at 6am. She got through first time & I answered but I still get worried if I’m not in the same room as my phone.

Can anyone relate? Have any suggestions?

I was 28 when my Dad died and I’m 30 now, so not a “young adult” as such as the category would suggest. But that’s how I feel. I still feel young to have lost a parent.

3 Likes

I can fully understand how you are feeling i feel the same when i have to go to hospital where my hubby died i panic and get myself in a state . I had a smile reading your thread when you said your not young, im in my 60s so 30 sounds young to me.

1 Like

I completely relate. I lost my dad when I was 18. His death has overshadowed my whole life. I developed terrible health anxiety as a result. His death was expected but still sudden, things happened so quickly. I try very very hard not to pass this on to my own children but it’s hard.

I’m the same as you with phone calls too. I remember having a panic attack on the flight for my honeymoon because I wasn’t contactable for 3 hours. When we landed I just knew I’d have missed something important, that someone else had died, that something awful had happened.

It hadn’t. But I truly believed it would and I still feel the same way.

28 is still young to lose a parent, you’re right. By the time I was in my late thirties I had lost both of my parents. I don’t know anyone my age who has lost both their parents, and only one or two who have lost one of them.

1 Like