The next step

I hope that you you have been able tinker with the scooters over the past few days. I’ve been told that the “men in the shed” group has a waiting list to join which is a bit of a blow but I’ll see if I can get some more information. I have to say that the main problem at the moment with me is a lack of motivation, anything more than sitting watching the TV is a real effort. I’ve received an invitation to my half sister’s 80th birthday this coming Saturday. However its near Glasgow and its really too far for me to travel at the moment. So I’ve going to decline but say that I hope that one of my (grown up) daughters will travel with me up for a visit early in May.
Also causing grief is stomach ache and finding it difficult to sleep after 6am in the morning! Then of course I’m down in the dumps during the day! All advice gratefully received.
Well that’s enough depression for one letter. As I’ve said all advice gratefully receieved.

I Hope that you have been able to tinker with the scooters over the past few days. I’ve found out that there may be a waiting list to join the chaps in the shred
Today is valentine’s day and of course there’s no-one to whom I can send a card, stilI I won’t be the only one in this situation.

2 Likes

@mikes
Hi Mike, yes I’ve managed a little time out working on my Scooters in between the poor weather, just getting one ready to go for a new MOT as it happens. Shame about the Men in a Shed waiting list, hopefully the wait to join isn’t too long. I also have difficulty sleeping at night, i used to be quite a sound sleeper but now wake regularly between 3am - 4am & struggle to get back off again. I’d advise a trip to the Doctor regarding the stomach issue as you never can be too careful & it may help with your sleeping problem if you can ascertain a root cause.
My Wife Anna never believed in Valentines Day, she always said people who want to gift flowers & chocolates should do it because they want to not because society says we have to on a pre - determined day, having said that my Daughter bought me some beautiful flowers which was very thoughtful of her. Hopefully your Daughter will accompany you on your trip up to Glasgow in May, that will make for a nice break for you & who knows the weather may even have improved a little by then. Take care fella & drop me a message anytime x :+1:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

Hi
It is 15 weeks since my husband of 46 years died. I have been trying to find a bereavment group but no luck. Do people on this website ever meet? I live in Stockport

1 Like

My wife died in mid November 2023. I’ve found bereavement information so far from; the local district general hospital and the Sue Ryder and the Cruse bereavement services.
Hope this is useful

1 Like

VillaBoy22
Hope that the following is helpful.
I’ve come across a book entitled “Scooterama”. It’s a history of motor scooters from1946 to the present day. I came across the above in the March 2024 issue of “PostScript”, books by post, tel no. 01626 897100, book ref no, 516913 price £6.99. If you’d like me to buy it on your behalf please let me know.
In the meantime I hope that this is a better day for all of us. Let me know how you are getting along. As I think I said earlier, I’m going to have to get used to living most of the time on my own, so here goes! I’ve got a few ideas on what to do but implementation is another matter. I was gong to go to a local coffee morning today but I over slept! Hoping that this is a good sign! I;ll attempt to get to the next coffee morning next week.
I’ll let you know how things go. All advice welcome
All the best

1 Like

Sorry its not “Scooterama” but “Scooter Mania” all other info should be OK.
All the best

Dear Villa Boy
I got to the next coffee morning, not a particularly friendly group, still it was the 1st time so I’ll try it again once or twice and see how it goes. I didn’t get to the gathering in Scotland but am in the process of arranging a meeting for later in the spring for my daughter and I to fly up to Edinburgh and meet some step-relatives. My son and his new fiancee are coming to visit all well and good this coming Friday. My other son is talking about regular Monday evening meetings which sound promising. My late wife’s brother is talking about having another lunch out and a chat sometime next week. His problem is that of being overwhelmed by requested for him to volunteer at the local swimming club. Last but not least, I’m going to my older daughter’s for Easter Sunday lunch.
Having written all this down I hope that this means there’s a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for us both. Let me know if you got the info about the scooter books, I’m not sure that all my emails are getting through. Nothing conspiratorial, just me being my technophobe self! This is one of the reasons I have also booked myself into a course in basic computer skills!
Keep in touch

1 Like

@mikes
Hi mike, Sorry i haven’t replied sooner but I’ve had a pretty bad couple of weeks being honest not helped at all by the fact that it was our 31st Wedding Anniversary last Thursday that i really struggled with. It’s only been going to work that’s kept me from going under completely i think.
I’m so pleased to hear that you’ve been finding things to fill up your time, even though the coffee morning hasn’t been a roaring success yet keep at it, it may get better. I’ve been going over to my Daughter’s on a Friday most weeks & staying over as just having a bit of company for that little bit of time does help quite a bit. My Son is off on a trip to the USA this coming Saturday, going to San Francisco for three nights & then 4 nights in Las Vegas ending up getting married there on Good Friday. He & his partner have been together for 10 years & have 2 gorgeous little girls so hopefully this will be the trip of a lifetime for them & will create some amazing memories.
Good to hear also that you you have regular contact planned with your children which is something i have become reliant on since my Wife’s passing, i think I’d be far worse off without that to look forward to.
As regards the Scooter books i do already have the Scooter Mania book you mentioned but Thanks for letting me know about it. The weather hasn’t been very kind so i haven’t managed to get out for a ride as yet but I’m hopeful that it will start to improve in the near future. Good to hear from you Mike & as i said apologies for not responding earlier. Take care & stay in touch mate.

Thanks for the email. Yes, hospital appointments knock us back, Even the smell of disinfectant brings unhappy memories.
Please wish your son and partner all the best for the forthcoming wedding. My cousin and his partner did much the same thing a few years ago and all went well.
Yes we must keep in touch, good to know that my email is working.

Best wishes

Just to say that I’ve come across another scooter book: The Motor Scooter Story by Barry John. It’s in the current issue of “PostScript”, order 01897100626 code no. 527889.
All the best, email to follow
Mike

We had a bit of a gathering on Easter Sunday at my/our house where there’s a bit more room for younger grand kids to run about in the garden. It went as well as can be expected. My/our daughter provided the food which was a great help. As others have said it was very quiet when they’d all gone. Next week I’ll try to get to the coffee morning and for lunch out with the brother-in-law and see what else turns up. I’ve also got the grass cut and i’m waiting for my roofer to mend a small hole in the roof.
Let me know how things are at your end, I’ m sure you’ll get loads of snaps of the wedding and the trip. Zoom etc is really helpful. Let me know how it goes.

All the best
Mike

@mikes
Hi Mike, good to hear you had a few people round to visit on Easter Sunday, when you spend a good chunk of time on your own its a big lift when people take time out to come & visit.
Hope the Coffee morning goes well & it’s great to hear your finding things to help fill your time. I too had a roof leak last year but ended up having the whole front side of the house re - felted & tiled with a new ridge system, a small repair wouldn’t have lasted long so i decided to get it done properly. The weather hasn’t been very good so It’s yet to be dry enough for me to cut my grass unfortunately.
The trip to the States for my Son & his now Wife was a huge success, they had an awesome time, took in some great sights, ( Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon etc ) & managed to win a couple of thousand pounds whilst doing a bit of gambling in Vegas so all in all it went tremendously well, the Wedding was also a highlight & they’ve decided to go back every 10 years for their anniversary. They sent loads of pics & video called me regularly so that was good.
Keep in touch mate,

All the best,

Derek.

2 Likes