The reminders that jump out and hit us...

7.15 am and just this minute taking in my Riverford orgainc home delivery at my front door and just briefly spoken to the man…Whilst unpacking my bags of fruits, my pears and apples and placing some into my new Hartley and Green, Leeds Pottery cream lace fruit bowl and placing the rest in my - our Richards large and solid pottery fruit bowl which we bought directly from the pottery maker when on one of our first dating holidays, the fruit bowl Richard always placed his fruit in, his punnets of cherries, his raspberries, greengages, strawberries, oranges, and his special Victoria Plums, the only variety of plums he ate, etc etc and once again i had myself another cry as his fruit is not inside it, otherwise it is laying empty and i just want to see it full again, only full of HIS fruit and not mine…
It just keeps coming back to haunt us the things we so took for granted and seeing, that we will never see again…

Jackie…

2 Likes

It is also breaking my heart to think that practically everything bought in our- my home was paid for and bought by Richard yet he is not here to benefit from it, it does not seem right, it does not make sense…he should be here enjoying his hard earnt money…his retirement years, our retirement years, we both worked through our life to earn the right to this., so why was he robbed of this…same as my MS disease, came out of the blue at age 64, all the places we once visited, Stately Homes, large tented Craft Fairs, the Stately Manor House gardens all came to its abrupt ending…

Jackie…

1 Like

Dear Jackie,
I too feel the same way, buying food that I like and not what Peter used to like, my shopping always centred around him, even before he was ill because I could eat anything but Curry and Peter loved his basic meals, he was a meat and two veg man, Sunday dinners during the week and he too hated Curry.
When I look back, Peter was an apprentice electrician when we met and then three years later, when he qualified, we got married, bought a brand new home and everything inside was brand new. His mum had died when he was 18, a few weeks after we met in 1964 and the house they lived in became Peters. He sold the house and put the money towards our new home in 1967 which meant we had a small mortgage and I still live here to this day, so many memories tied up in our home.
Peter applied for promotion after promotion and when he retired he was in charge of the city’s electrical system and then the council decided to privatise it and everything went downhill, faults everywhere so he applied for early retirement as he wasn’t feeling well and kept having chest infections, little did we know that by the following year he would be diagnosed with the illness that killed him. We spent the next 8 years together day in and day out, sitting in the garden in the summer, going for days out until he only wanted to drive short distances, we could be out for an hour, but it took us two hours to get him ready as he could hardly walk but once he was settled in our eight seater SUV (we bought it because it was massive and airy for him and he could sit high up) he loved that SUV but when we got back home again it took us an hour to get him out of it and back into the house so he could recover.
I was lucky, apart from my hair falling out and chest pains due to stress I was able to care for him on my own. I promised him that he would never have to go into a care home as long as I had breath in my body and he didn’t. We had some ding dongs as he got so impatient with me if I didn’t get to him fast enough, my showers took one minute, turn on the shower, then jump in and jump out, washing my hair was a nightmare I had to wash it in the kitchen sink when he was in the next room. I have lost times of my hair dripping all over the place when he called for me to help him. I bought a massive shower cap that was towel lined so when he called I could plonk it on my head to stop water dripping all over the place. I got into a system where everything was done down to a tee. I bought walkie talkies and attached them to our clothes so when I hung washing out or was changing the beds he could press the button and I could be with him in seconds.
The last time he was taken into hospital I stayed with him all night until he passed away in my arms the following afternoon with all his family around him. I have no regrets apart from the fact that when he got bad tempered with me I shouted back and called him selfish but I don’t dwell on that at all, I knew I could not have done anything more than what I did for Peter. I stayed all day when he was admitted to hospital during the years he was ill, he would not let the nurses wash him, he would wait until I turned up and I would get a bowl of water and wash him down and change his clothes, go down to the coffee shop and bring him back some sandwiches etc. and newspapers, I went home in the afternoon when he wanted to sleep, Fed and took our German Shepherd out for a walk then got a taxi back to the hospital where I stayed until early evening. The staff got used to me and I was even offered a meal if I wanted one, the meals were delicious but Peter wanted Sub Sandwiches and Paninis.
I hope that someone will be there for me and look after me the way I looked after my mum and Peter but somehow I doubt it. If we had had daughters then perhaps it would have been different but with sons? A son is a son 'til he gets him a wife, a daughter’s a daughter for all of her life.
Sheila.xx

Shelia…
… that was quite an episode, now all we have left are our memories and our forever love…I too keep having flashbacks to the morning-mid day that Richard died, you see when he had just gotten out of bed, before he ventured into the bathroom-his bathroom opposite to get ready to take our then cocker spaniel the half hour car drive to the pet-groomers, i had noticed again poppy seeds over the kitchen counter top from the poppy seed sliced bread and had another moan to Richard about the mess he had made, guessing from the day before, then i told him, in abrupt speak, not to worry as i have cleared it up, now if i had only known this was the morning i was to lose my Richard i would never, never have complained over something so trivial as POPPY SEEDS…
Neither of us knew what was about to soon happen, how could we have done, it was just another usual week day morning, or so we both assumed it to have been…

Jackie…

Jackie,
We all have regrets but the happiness we had with our soulmates far outweighs them and I for one would do it all again in a flash.

Love

Sheila.x

1 Like

We don’t have to not see it again, that’s what memories are for we see it in our mind. I’m Wiccan and in my belief system my husband is in the air I breathe and he follows each step I take. My belief brings me great comfort because I know that when the Wheel of Life turns he will be restored to me in one form or another because nothing is ever truly lost. As a Wiccan I do not fear death, at some stage the Wheel turns and something must be let go but, the Wheel will turn again and whatever was lost will be restored.

1 Like

Dear Ashtrees40.

I am a great believer in the afterlife because there must be something after a person dies otherwise we would not see them or feel them around us or experience happenings such as their aftershave/perfume odour, cigarette smoke, hair being touched in the night, the side of the bed going down as if someone is climbing in. I also take great comfort in the fact that one day we will be reunited again.
It is over five years since my beloved husband died but I am now over five years closer to seeing him again.

1 Like