The sudden passing of my mother

Hey everyone
I’m new here,
I recently lost my mum on the 21st Feb 2023
My mother was found unconscious in her car after finishing work early on the 6th Feb. She had suffered a brain aneurysm which caused a mild stroke.
She was only 56.
She was taken to hospital where she was treated in the neuro intensive care unit for two weeks, under the help of a ventilator. Sadly she never made a recovery due to too much brain damage and we had to make the difficult decision to let her go.

I live at home with my father and the support of my partner. My father isn’t taking her death very well and seems to be struggling daily. I’m worried about him as they was married for 35 years and was together for 40. They done everything together and the sudden void that’s been left behind has taken its toll.
Im not that close with my father as when I was young my mother’s family disapproved of him and he was never aloud to bath or dress me so we never got to create a bond. Where as I was very close with my mum, she was my best friend. I’m 25 and never thought I’d loose a parent so young. I thought I’d be well into my 30s.

I seem to be coping day by day as when I think of my mother all I feel is calmness. She was a very spiritual woman so I know she’s happy where she is and on her life after death journey. I know she’s around me all the time and is now my guardian angel, but I guess I haven’t fully grieved for her as I seem to have lost the emotions if that makes sense?

I’m not really sure why I’m here but I thought I’d share my story.

Thank you for reading and any comments or messages are welcome.

3 Likes

Hi am so sorry to hear about you beautiful mam, please message me anytime. I lost my mam unexpectedly also. Here if you ever want to talk. My name is Natalie. I lost my mam ar 27 so can relate. Here anytime. :heart:

1 Like

Hello Katie9

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling . I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. Coping day by day is normal, and grief is a very individual experience- some days you might feel calm, or numb, or sad. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care, Rhi

1 Like