The transferring and taking over the bills...

Thank heavens I am back on the computer…Woke up 6 am, turned on my computer only to see a message from BT saying my computer has been temporarily suspended due to me not paying my bill, the phone and tv was still functioning just not the computer…Well this is-was true but I had spoken on 3 accounts to the BT bereavement department telling of my situation that I had lost my partner and he was the one who dealt with all the bills…I have to say at this point everyone from the bereavement department were nice and fully understand our situation…Well I informed that I wouldn’t be cut off, after I had told them I need the computer as this is the way I am dealing with our-my solicitor which is back home 140 plus miles away…So I woke up this morning 6.am, turned on my computer to find I had been temporarily suspended so straight on the phone to sort this matter out, thankfully my state pension went in this morning boosting enough money to clear off this outstanding bill, I also came back on the phone later to set up my choice of continued payments which has been been sorted…My main question is, after our shock of losing our beloved partner-hubby-wife, how we are left to cope wit the changeover of paying the utility bills, we are thrown in at the deep end, and all other manner of bills that our partner always had paid…Up until now I have been sending most bills off to the solicitor to pay as and when the get around to doing it, of course this will up their charges, maybe now I will be more in a position to take over the bills myself, I sure hope so, I would rather take back the control and know when they are going to be paid…

Jackie…

Hi Jackie, so pleased we haven’t lost you. It’s a minefield of confusion out there isn’t it and when our brains are a muddle anyway it’s can seem even worse.
I am fortunate to be admin trained and felt I could cope quite well myself but I set a target of only dealing with two telephone calls a day so as not to overload the old brain. I was given some advice to always ask for the Bereavement Dept in the first instance so that you don’t get passed all over the place. I still became very frustrated at having to keep filling in the same form, and saying the same things all the time. I told one company that Brian had passed away and they sent a rebate cheque addressed to him. So I had to send it back with a covering letter !!! More waste of time The list goes on. I complained to the Bank at the time and way they dealt with things and received a large hamper with an apology from them.
Can I once again suggest that you contact AGE UK, they have helped people I know and they was very impressed. I did contact them but didn’t need their help and once they found out I had worked in the local Council finance dept they wasn’t really bothered. Although I did receive a call asking me if I needed help to get out of bed and cook meals. I informed them that I was having two ton of muck delivered to my large allotment that day if anyone wanted to come and help me spread it. It caused a laugh anyway. Seriously I think this support might be what you need. They deal with all that you are having problems with. My friend enlisted their help and they was wonderful support for her. Please don’t struggle on by yourself, you just don’t need all this extra worry and red tape. I wish I could do more for you.
Take care Pat xxx

Pat…
…yes Age UK is a Godsend isn’t it, I have had the help of two senior in age men, one has helped wit getting my two extra top up allowances, I was successful on both accounts, the other man has and is still very much helping me wit h dealings with my-our solicitor business, he certainly know how to deal with things when he took over the phone calls…Now all I have to do is send photo copies and emails direct to the office and they will get passed onto him, only one negative-downside, these people only work in the office one day a week yet still somehow can be contacted by their office staff if needed…

Yes I will remember all these people who stepped forwards in my time of need, they will all be rewarded by me…

Jackie…

So pleased your getting some help.post etc. I found I was constantly having to post off things like death/birth/marriage certificates and have never used the postal service so much. I fortunately have a post box quite near but how are you managing.
Pat xx

I was told by someone on our site that if one leaves outside stuck in the letterbox our lovely cheerful post lady will take it so it gets posted…so this is what I do…If she is not around one of the other couple of post people will happily take it…