Those Final Days

My wife Sandra was diagnosed with metastisis on the brain. She had radiotherapy and was due to undergo a form of chemotherapy when her condition worsened and we were told by the hospital that no further treatment would help. She insisted on going home there and then. I had the great honour of helping her to spend her final 10 nights in her own home, surrounded by family and friends. The pain of seeing my beautiful wife suffer over afew short months will never go, but at least she had her family and friends around her when she passed away.

Dear Swanjack, your finding it a great honour to help Sandra spend her final days at home, says it all to me. I know just how much strength and courage it takes to watch and walk with your soulmate & love of your life, on their pathway to end of life. I too felt it an honour to be at my husband’s bedside. We hadn’t had a meaningful conversation for some months and he didn’t know he was going to die. However, we had been together for so long, we just knew what was what and with my blessing, he slipped unconscious, for his last few days. I can only agree that the memories of this time, cause such pain and I expect them to always do so. What I didn’t know about was the complete and utter devastation…it’s now learning to live again. I hope you find comfort and support as you continue to post, with my kind regards, x

Hi Swanjack
My wife died in August after four years of living with a Glioblastoma brain tumour. I will be eternally grateful that she managed to return home to die and that she died peacefully and apparently pain free. I also feel it was my privilege to be there for her 24/7. The day she died I think she was aware that her four children were with her for most of the day. Our three daughters had left to go back to their families and I think they knew by how I hugged them that I had accepted she was very close to death. My son wouldn’t go home and after a while he told his mother that the girls had gone, everything was fine and she could let go. It was hard to believe how quickly she raced through the final stages.
I held one hand and her son, who was always dubbed the Special One by his sisters, held the other and we told her how we loved her. I just hope she understood that. It’s just so hard to believe when the breathing stops.
I will never forget how brave she was as she lived under a cloud for four years. Her best friend died of metastitis on the brain just a year after my wife was diagnosed and she didn’t believe she could be as brave.
It’s just made me convinced that I want to go peacefully in my sleep with no suggestion it’s imminent.

Thank you Rainbow and Yorkshire Lad for your kind words and my deepest sympathy for your losers. It is a comfort to know there are many out there that care x

Sorry my apologies - I meant to say losses x