To see or not to see.

There have been many posts on here of late regarding what some see in a none physical sense. So many have related events that happen where they see or even speak to their loved ones. Also, sadly, it has become apparent that many are afraid of ridicule or the belief that they are crazy. So they bottle up the experiences. After all, who wants to be thought of as being ‘abnormal’ or strange in some way.
To the uninitiated any phenomena that they can’t see, touch, taste, hear or smell does not exist. Materialism is on the up. The ‘baubles’ of life have become more important than the recognition of another world beyond this one.
My wife was very psychic and saw so much more than me. So I have personal experience of how real it can be to someone who has this gift of spiritual insight. She saw people who were supposedly dead sitting in a chair smiling. Sometimes, when we were out she saw them walking along the road. She very rarely spoke to anyone about it because, from a child, she had seen ‘things’ and often been told not to be silly. So many who have this wonderful gift suppress it for fear of being thought odd or different in some way.
On this site we have the opportunity to express our experiences without judgement or ridicule. I hope this thread allows many to open up and tell us about their experiences.
To those who may regard it all as wishful thinking I can only paraphrase Shakespeare’s words. ‘There are many things Horatio, that thou hast not dreamed of’. The line between Heaven and Earth is a hair’s breath apart. In times of stress that line is often crossed, and we may find ourselves in a condition where we see beyond this earthly realm. If only for a brief moment it can happen. Take care All.

5 Likes

I haven’t told anyone what has happened to me but I have mentioned on here and other sites. Stuff I have experienced has truly given me the only comfort in the last few terrible months. I never thought about afterlife signs before mum died. Stuff has happened to me without me even looking or thinking about it. A week before mum was taken into hospital. She had been given the all clear by the hospital. Boy where they wrong. Anyway I was sitting on the beach with friends. I had a deep sense of foreboding a feather landed in my lap and I instantly thought. Mum is really ill. I just knew it. Her favourite Songs play at strange times. A dream I had of her that I would bet my house on was real. It honestly brings me such comfort I feel real sadness when people dismiss it. It’s the only thing that’s getting me through this. That she is nearby and with me.

1 Like

Hi Jooles. I think it’s important that these ‘insights’ come about involuntarily. There is no way we can make them come. It happens often when we least expect it.
People dismiss it just as they dismiss events that have no explanation. Nature is full of such events.
‘Synchonicity’ explains so much. There is no such thing as being alone in a real sense. We may feel physically alone, but it’s due to our belief that it’s possible to be alone! If it’s any comfort we could go into this more later.
She is nearby and with you and always will be. Time has no meaning where they are. It’s a man made concept that has no actual relevance in a Spiritual sense. Animals have very little if any sense of time. Their only requirement is love, and that they give back freely.
Why do we say ‘oh it was only a dream’? Only!! We do enter another world often in dreams, and dreams always have a message from the unconscious. The unconscious part of our mind over which we have no control consciously, can often ‘send’ messages. The fact that we have no control over the message enforces its authenticity. Is that how ‘they’ communicate?
Take care.

2 Likes

I wonder about this too. The flash in my head to check my birthday card. Where did it come from. My subconscious knew it was there but why did it come to me? I dream of my mum every single night. But the dream I had of her the night after she died telling me goodbye and that she loved me. She kissed me several times and hugged me. I felt the kiss and hug. She was wearing a jacket I had never seen before. Yet on the morning of her funeral dad hung this jacket on the wall. He says she only bought it a few weeks earlier. Well I had never seen it before. As I live in Cornwall and she lives in Bedfordshire. She bought it for a holiday that she had just been on. Well this dream was different to any dream I have ever had before or since. The hello in my ear the other morning while I was half asleep was loud and clear, never had that before either. The dandelion seed floating out from my ottoman bed. Then several more in my living room. No flowers round here as I live on a new build site. and it’s winter.

I hold on to all of these it gives me a lot of comfort that I was a good daughter that she is still looking after me and knows how much I loved her.

2 Likes

I too never gave this sort of thing a second thought although I had picked up on things. My husband said I was a frightening person to have around as I seemed to know when things were going to happen. Not often I’m pleased to say. I never discussed these feelings with anyone except Brian in the last year of his life. Since the loss of Brian I know that I have received signs.
I have quoted them before so don’t want to bore people but the first sign after Brian’s death was the day he died and I walked into a local shop. I have no idea why I went into that shop as I was just walking the dogs. A song came on. “I’m talking to an Angel” I knew that it was a sign from Brian. He has helped me on more than one occasion, shown me where things,are that I had no ides about , When I was upset about his daughters animosity towards me, which was totally un-expected. He came to me and told me to leave them alone and he would sort them out. I stopped worrying so much as I knew he was taking over from me. There have been many other occasions.
Recently I had another vivid dream about a past partner. I have not seen him for years as he moved away. In the dream he was there as he looked when I last saw him. He was smiling and took my hand and told me he hadn’t any regrets at the seven years we had been together and then walked away, saying he would be back. In another dream it said that my guardian angel had long light blonde hair and bright blue eyes. This description fitted my past partner the last time I saw him. I am now trying to trace him again as a spiritualist friend has told me that more than likely he has passed away.
Today I walked into a charity shop and just as I went through the door a Whitney Houston song started ‘Run to You’, some of the words just got to me. “Can’t you see the hurt in me. I want to run to you, I want you to hold me in your arms and keep me safe from harm”. I stood listening with the tears streaming down my face. Is it just me that feel the words of a song is meant to connect with us at that particular moment. I have no doubts about the visitations being a sign that they are still with us and it brings me comfort.
Pat xxx

1 Like

I too, can relate to experiencing signs via dreams, or visititations! When young, my late husband and I sometimes had visitation s from each other offer when we were apart. I often put it down to our being close soulmates. Many years ago, after the birth of our son, our first child, we experienced such event. My husband was at work, when I was in our home and had just picked up our son from the pram who had just begun to cry for a feed, saying to him tenderly “Oh, you are a hungry little thing”! Naturally, I sat down and fed him. Later, when my husband came home from work, he said he felt sure he had heard me say to our baby son “Oh you are a hungry little thing”! He hadn’t just imagined it. When discussing the time I had said that to our son, it coincided with the time my husband had heard me! A number of times over the years we had similar experiences. I’ve also found that I have had dreams about people I used to know who were important in my life, such as both of my own parents, my husband’s mother, and my best friend, who passed away some years ago. One one occasion I could not sleep as I was worrying about my husband having surgery the next day. I did eventually fall into a dream where I saw his mother, looking beautiful and almost angelic, when she said to me “Don’t worry about him, he will be alright!”. The surgery on his eyes had been a success. I still believe that was a lovely visitation of his Mother to comfort me. The day after my husband passed away, whilst I was having my first breakfast alone, I suddenly saw his hand appear before me as if to take mine. I’ve often thought that was a sign of my beloved Alan saying to me that all is well with him. Maybe some would say these events or visitations are ‘all in the mind’, but who knows. Deidre

1 Like

I often wonder why we are frightened of such experiences. So called ‘ghosts’ frighten people. Why? Is it that we can’t accept that the possibility is there? That something does exist beyond our world of thought? It’s because we think it’s ‘abnormal’ to see and hear things.
From the moment we are born our tape recorder is on and our brains record what everyone tells us. That recording goes on and on through life. ‘Daddy says you are being silly if you see or hear things, and as daddy is always right and must be obeyed then it’s true’. No!! We have to question. To have open minds. If we don’t personally experience something we have no right to say it doesn’t exist.
It’s just not good enough to say it’s all wishful thinking. The phenomena we are talking about has it’s own reality. We try to use worldly terms to describe it when that is often impossible. It is not ‘of this world’. Why do I know my wife is with me still? Because I feel it. Can I explain fully that feeling? No, not possible, only I can know that, and it’s the same with all of us.
If anyone sees, hears, feels something unusual or what may be described as ‘strange’ don’t feel afraid. Rejoice that an effort is being made to communicate with you. This is not Spiritualism or religion, but about personal emotions and feelings. Take care.

3 Likes

Reply to Jonathan,
Thank you for your wise words. I do know what you mean when you say your wife is still with you. Yes, I have to admit that sometimes feelings of grief and loneliness overcome me. But on better days I have the lovely warm feeling of knowing he, or his ‘presence’, is with me. When I open my door into my home after being out, I am comforted by the feeling of his warm, happy presence. One of the reasons why I have not moved, though occasionally have thought about it, is because of the happy memories I have of us being here together. I occasionally wake from a
short nap in my favourite chair feeling that my husband is also there. I then awake to reality, of course. I was mentioning this to my son’s wife recently, and she said that she also felt the presence of my beloved husband when in my home. Of course, some would say it’s just memories! But we who feel know it is good and a comfort.

Hi Jonathan. Ghosts, I have no fear of them now. I would rather sit in our cemetery at night in the dark than walk the streets of a city. (Fortunately I don’t live near one).
A few moments ago I felt something light stroke my face, I looked around to see if there was a fly in the room. Then realised it was probably a communication.
I know Brian is with me, don’t ask me how but I do.
The day Brian died a relative who is a believer (which I never knew about) that visited said she felt him sitting in the chair in the dining room and he was watching me. My grandson’s wife said Brian had visited them and was so pleased about it. Re: Brian’s chair in the dining room, except for her walks one of my dogs refused to get out of it day and night for months.
It’s all part of my life now. I accept.
Pat

2 Likes

I just bent down to pick something up from the floor and a feather floated down in front of me as if it came out of my hair. It was a very white small feather. I picked it up and have put it in my mums keepsake box.

Also meant to tell you the other week I stayed with my dad for the weekend at their house. I was sitting on the sofa my legs up and along in front of me, and I had a sudden urge to move them as if to let someone sit down. Suddenly realised my legs were on the part of the
Sofa where mum used to sit.

1 Like

Hi Pat.
In just those two words you have encapsulated the whole thing. The answer not only to the suffering of grief but to life in general “I accept”. There is a poem about changing the things I can change but ‘accepting’ that there are things I can’t. Grief is facing the inevitable. We can’t change anything, and trying to can often make things much worse, just as can looking back in anger or remorse. Acceptance takes the edge off the pain. Maybe only a bit at first, but in time it can help a lot.
I sometimes awake in the mornings and feel my wife is in the kitchen. I think that I will go and tell her something then realise she is not there. But the very fact I felt that must have some significance. Thanks Pat as always. XX

2 Likes

I have spent an awful lot of time going over and over regrets and guilt. I’m starting to “accept” it’s not healthy. I spent 98% of my relationship with my mum trying to be the best daughter I could be. And probably a very small amount where I could have done more said more behaved in a better way. But I’m human. I’m not perfect I’m not a saint. Learning to accept that there were flaws and it cannot be undone is helping me to move forward a little

3 Likes

Hi Jonathan
Thank you for starting this post.
I have detailed some of my experiences in another thread.
I have had many since I was a child.
Including all recently deceased loved ones visiting me but also people I do not know.
It is not an often occurrence and I have 0 control.
I never worry about people thinking you are crazy. Its best if we share our evidence, so we can all learn.
When I was a teenager, I was awoken in the night because I felt a weight on my feet. There was a translucent looking revolutionary war era soldier sitting on my feet (I live in the USA in one of the original states near an old fort). I stared for a while trying to reason out if it was real or not, decided that it was real, I moved a bit to turn my light on, looked back and it was gone.
There are many of these. Some experiences, one could argue are your imagination. Sometimes it might be. But not every time.
A good friend of mine’s mother who had passed visited her. The mom sat next to her on her couch, engaged in brief conversation, then disappeared. My friend was with another person at that time - they both saw the mom.
Don’t be afraid to share. Many people have real experiences. The more we share, the more we learn.
Ell

Hi. Ell.
Your post is very interesting. None of it surprises me. It does seem that some have ‘the gift’ others not. I believe it to be a gift and although I am not privileged to have this insight, my wife did, so nothing surprises me any more when I hear about this phenomena. I think to those who have it it’s like a widow opening and closing into another dimension. Heaven and Earth are but a hairs breadth apart, and crossing that line, even momentarily, is possible to those who know. It’s not a question of faith or religion. To them it’s a perfectly natural happening.
I have seen many fearful of what they see, but it’s a wonderful gift for which they should be grateful. As in dreams it seems to happen spontaneously.
I do agree about sharing, but we have to be careful. Those who have no knowledge of such things do ridicule. Those who may not have this gift but have an open mind are more receptive. It’s OK being skeptical, but to ridicule someones beliefs is not good.
Take care and thank you. John.

1 Like